Intel CPU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I have a question
I am looking to purchase an Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Processor Extreme Edition for a server build
Now I noticed that the Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) is 32 GB
The motherboard I am looking to pick up is an Asus P9X79 WS. The maximum memory is 64 GB on this board.
The memory I am looking to purchase is G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD (8Gx8) (64GB)

My question is: Will server 2008 see 64GB or 32GB?
What does it mean when the Max Memory Size is 32GB on the CPU does that mean that the CPU will only understand that there is 32GB on the motherboard even though there is 64?

I have no test reference because my PC has 32gb of ram and an i7 2600K max memory is 32gb and my board only supports up to 32gb.

Any ideas?

Solution
it really depends on the use of the server and what level of service you're aiming for... A home built server (I would still recommend server grade parts) could easily keep up with a OEM server. Which ML350 G6 is it in particular? Server grade parts usually have higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) and are designed to be in use 24x7... looking at newegg the only ml350s even close to $4000 have dual 4/6 core processors with HT. So you're looking to pit a quad core with ht (8 effective cores), though at a higher clock speed, against 16 - 24 effective cores.

It will really depend on the environment... you say it's, AD/DNS/Exchange/File server... How many Users is it going to be servicing? It's going to be executing 4 different roles...
The memory controller that is located on the Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition supports DDR 3 240 pin memory at 1.5v ±5% in 1,2 and 4GB stick configurations. So right now I would say that the 32GB would be the most memory that the processor would support. Now you may be able to put more in the board and not have it used. Page 11 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-lga-2011-datasheet-vol-1.html So until this is updated with support information on a 8GB sticks this is the best information I can give you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Oh I had looked at the socket 2011 I wasnt looking at the 1155.
I gave myself a budget of 3k that's why I am picking the best pieces I can find.
If I have to downtune it I will but I'm trying to show someone the difference between a 4k HP server and what 4k can buy you if it's self built.

BTW thanks for the link I have server 2008 sbs so I guess 32gb is what I'm putting!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
best for what though? Best for desktop gaming sure 2011... best for server environment from intel xeon... or AMD Opteron... but even so... you could build it cheaper yourself, but in a server environment what you pay for when buying from HP or the likes is the support..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113036 <-- would blow away the 3960X in a heavily threaded server environment... and for just 20 bucks more than the 3960x you could put two of them in a system...

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Ya I know I could build it cheaper. I probably wont pick all the parts I have I know I can bring down the price easily $1000 but my boss was telling me that HP is king in everything. So I just wanted to show him what 4k could buy you even with splurging.
I know you pay for the support but recently I got so turned off on something HP did that I just wanted to show him what you can actually get if you buy things yourself and not get a HP branded part.

(I don't know anything about AMD though I never used one in a server environment)

BTW you have the coolest PC in the world!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
right. what I'm trying to get at is you're doing an Apples to Oranges comparison... the 4000 dollar server would blow away (at server tasks) whatever you build with more desktop oriented parts... Try building a 4k system using server parts that way the comparison is valid... you can still do it and it will still outperform the HP, BUT like I said the SLAs you get from going through HP or any other name brand is where the true savings comes in... unless of course you have a bunch of engineers on your staff you pay to take care of those systems (even then you're losing money cause you have to pay those engineers, where if you had a service contract they only come out when it needs fixing... so even if you didn't get platinum support the per service fee is cheaper than having a dedicated staff)

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The server itself wouldn't be doing anything all that special. It is just going to be a file server with AD DNS DHCP and Exchange.
It wouldn't be doing anything special.
The server of choice was a HP ML350 G6.
What tasks would the ML beat a home built server at.

As far as I can tell the i7 is faster than the Xeon (I don't know anything about the architecture of a Xeon vs an i7) I just went by what the pound for pound specs were.

The MOBO on the HP is an Intel server board whereas the one I picked was an Asus..The one on the asus would be running a Promise SATA3 RAID card whereas the HP runs a p410 RAID card which is SATA 2

The memory however is ECC whereas the home built is non ECC

As far as everything else is concerned what would a "real server" do differently than a "home built one" when they would both be running server 2008 SBS?

What potential hurdles would I be facing if I were to put a home built one in production (apart from warranty issues)

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
it really depends on the use of the server and what level of service you're aiming for... A home built server (I would still recommend server grade parts) could easily keep up with a OEM server. Which ML350 G6 is it in particular? Server grade parts usually have higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) and are designed to be in use 24x7... looking at newegg the only ml350s even close to $4000 have dual 4/6 core processors with HT. So you're looking to pit a quad core with ht (8 effective cores), though at a higher clock speed, against 16 - 24 effective cores.

It will really depend on the environment... you say it's, AD/DNS/Exchange/File server... How many Users is it going to be servicing? It's going to be executing 4 different roles with a several users all accessing it at the same time it could easily get bogged down...

Seeing as a tower server is being selected I will assume this is a small business of some sort and the desktop machine you're building will probably be able to cope with the demands... but the server system would more than likely still outperform it.

Solution

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Ya it would be something liek 20 or 30 users max.
Hp Part number Mfg. Part: 656764-S0
I actually didn't notice this was 2 CPUs though.
I guess I didn't compare apples to apples lol
Going back to the original question though (regardless of if it is a server or not) does the max memory on a CPU determine how much memory can actually be put on the Mobo?

(BTW thanks for the help I appreciate it)

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
the memory max is more than likely linked to the Qualified Vendor List... in that the manufacturer has tested this. It does not mean more memory would not work (as long as the OS and the MoBo support more)

Status
Not open for further replies.