Sign in with
Your question

Novice building powerful htpc, please help on components

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2011 7:15:29 AM

Hi guys,

I am quite a novice in Pc assembling;

But I am now building a htpc (my first desktop ever, I only had laptops) but a special one;
I started buying two weeks ago, my components are:
Case: Origenae S16T the center of the build, full ATX, Full GPU
PSU: Antec HC pro 1200 (choosen for 1) smaller phisical dimensions 2) fan on the back, hot air directly out from the case)
ODD: Liteon ihbs 212 BD/DVD/CD burner/reader (for the smaller phisical dimension)
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb;
FANS: 2x 80'' Noctua (back case/air out), 1x92 Noctua (right side of case, intake), Xilence PCI Slot fan(internal fan, placed under gpu), Antec spotcool 120'' (internal fan)

Now I miss the rest but here are my ideas:
HDD1 SSD Crucial M4 256gb
GPU Nvidia 590 (mainly because she is the most powerfull nvidia 2 slots card - question: gygabyte or zotac or evga?)
AUDIO Auzentech x-fi Forte

For CPU and MOBO I would like to ask for help;
First a question, Is the 'right there' x79 chipset (with the sandy bridge e cpu) worth buying in your opinion?
Is x79 going to support Ivy Bridge?

I would maybe be more oriented in z68 (Asrock fatal1ty Pro) plus 2600K;

I intend to play, even 3d and I look for no compromises, watch movies and 3d, listening to music and I will also add a TV pci in the closest future;

Finally was wandering if adding an Nvida 430 would let me sometimes turning on the pc using a less powerfull card with low trmps and low noise when I want simply to sef the web, playing old games, watching movies;

Please can someone advise?

Thanks a lot!
November 12, 2011 12:40:50 AM

If I were doing and HTPC, I'd stray away from Antec PSUs because of their reputation for not fitting into the PSU slot on non-Antec cases. The physical dimension doesn't matter because it's all fitting into the same case. The only thing that matters, is the form factor. Same thing with the ODD, dimension doesnt matter, it's all about getting the right form factor. The 590s are great cards, It doesn't really matter what brand, but I highly suggest ASUS, GIGABYTE, and VISION TeK because of their awesome warranty and customer support. No reason to get a second card, unless you intend to unplug the 590 when ever you want to use the 430. It will use more power using the 430 with the 590 attached than using the 590 without a 430 at all. That pc is going to be deafiningly loud with all those fans, I don't know where you plan to put that Antec 120mm though. Processors arn't a huge deal. AMD is great. It's inexpencive and will last for as long as you need it. Usually a good 12 to 20 years. Intel is decent too, but costs much more. For matching specs, they proform the same. Intel processors will last, literally, forever. Motherboards don't matter. Pick one with good reviews and a fair 100$ to 200$ price tag. Chipset doesn't matter, anything that came out in the last year and a half is fine.

***I didn't see any memory on your list. Don't forget that.***

Hope it all works out for you.
November 12, 2011 12:10:37 PM

do you already have that case (i hope not) its $800 .anyway 580 sli is better than 590 . the motherboard has great built in audio so theres no reason to get a external one.
sandy bridge e is way to expensive imo and some how the 2600k is beating it in a few benchmarks.

using this helps
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-faqs-buil...
November 12, 2011 12:12:57 PM

"Processors arn't a huge deal. AMD is great. It's inexpencive and will last for as long as you need it. Usually a good 12 to 20 years. Intel is decent too, but costs much more. For matching specs, they proform the same. Intel processors will last, literally, forever"

im not so sure about this.
!