Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard has BOTH 20 AND 24 pin sockets?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 9, 2012 11:32:34 PM

My friend has an old Dell XPS missing a power supply and on the motherboard it has both 20 and 24 pin imput sockets. I'm thinking its just like how hdds have molex and sata and you use either/or but not both. I'm thinking at most it will just not turn on if I plug in a 24 pin and leave the 20 pin empty. Safe to try?
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2012 7:40:51 AM

m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 8:47:31 AM

mmm... BTX.

You will need a BTX PSU.

Not too familiar with it.

Leaping away.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 5:38:42 AM

Pyree said:
mmm... BTX.

You will need a BTX PSU.

Not too familiar with it.

Leaping away.

I poked around and can't find anything on a BTX specific psu and am guessing its propietary. Could I just use a jerryrig of adapters?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2012 8:37:37 AM

Just try plugging in the 24 pin - if it boots, you're good. If not, try 20 - if it boots, again, you're good. If not, you may need both. I have an OLD Dimension 8100 (doesn't even use ATX or BTX) has 1 20 pin and then one like, 12 pin - the 12 pin is for the CPU (Pentium 4). How old is this machine & what does it use?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 8:42:45 AM

No, the pin layout of BTX is different. You will need a converter or do a pin mod. Don't know which goes to which though. I know a mod here can do it but I forgot who has done it before and both 20 pin and 24 pin must be plugged in to power the mobo.
m
l
December 28, 2012 11:30:42 PM

1zacster said:
My friend has an old Dell XPS missing a power supply and on the motherboard it has both 20 and 24 pin imput sockets. I'm thinking its just like how hdds have molex and sata and you use either/or but not both. I'm thinking at most it will just not turn on if I plug in a 24 pin and leave the 20 pin empty. Safe to try?

I had to ask..... Did you ever get this figured out.. Running into same challenge with a Precision 490 that requires a 24 pin and 20 pin connection through the power supply or so I think.. As that was what was plugged in with the factor power supply..

Any solutions are welcome....
m
l
December 30, 2012 3:38:03 AM

MCity said:
I had to ask..... Did you ever get this figured out.. Running into same challenge with a Precision 490 that requires a 24 pin and 20 pin connection through the power supply or so I think.. As that was what was plugged in with the factor power supply..

Any solutions are welcome....

me and my friend have been pretty lazy about it. We are going to try plugging in a psu into just the 24 pin socket and boot it up, and if that doesn't work we will need to buy a OEM part.
m
l
!