• Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • ATX
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 6, 2012 3:17:58 PM

Hey folks,

I'm looking at building a micro-atx workhorse PC. I already have components selected, but I am having a terrible time choosing a case. I currently use a Thermaltake V5 simply because I got it free with a power supply purchase a while ago. I will be using an i3-2120 CPU, an AMD 6870, and I need the case to be able to support at least two 5.25inch drive bays as well as a standard ATX PSU. I'm looking to go as small as possible, and yet stay under $100 on the case. I won't be overclocking any of it as I really don't need the extra power.

Any case recommendations or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Cheers, Claec

More about : micro atx case

February 6, 2012 3:39:38 PM

I will be purchasing a micro ATX motherboard. I like that Fractal Core 1000 case as well as the Silverstone. The other two are a bit on the large side. I'm trying to keep the greatest dimensions at 16 inches or less, and the total volume less than 1800 cubic inches.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 6, 2012 3:50:20 PM

I have the NZXT Vulcan and it's a great case. The Arc Mini by Fractal Designs is really nice, too. I don't know their volume but a quick look on newegg would help with that.

You will be hard-pressed to find a case with a depth of 16" or less, usually the largest dimension for a micro-ATX case.
February 6, 2012 5:26:29 PM

swoz said:
I have the NZXT Vulcan and it's a great case. The Arc Mini by Fractal Designs is really nice, too. I don't know their volume but a quick look on newegg would help with that.

You will be hard-pressed to find a case with a depth of 16" or less, usually the largest dimension for a micro-ATX case.

Rosewill makes a cheap m-atx case that is 14inches deep and 14 inches tall, but it looks kinda iffy from the reviews. I'm looking at the Vulcan, but I'm worried that the handle is a bit weak. Have you found that to be the case?

I looked at the Fractal, but its almost as big as my mid-atx case.
m
l
February 6, 2012 5:33:42 PM

The handle is surprisingly strong. I can move the case around easily with it installed.
m
l
February 6, 2012 5:55:18 PM

Stick with fractal. You are getting a quality case.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2012 8:47:42 AM

Fractal Design Arc Mini Black High Performance I like some of the lian li offerings but for the same $ this has better reviews
m
l
February 8, 2012 1:49:29 AM

Best answer selected by claec.
m
l
!