New MoBo for 2+ year-old build

blobdude

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I built my first PC back in January 2010, ran great until a few months ago. Seems my MoBo has failed. Computer was booting with a CMOS checksum error when I could actually get it to boot. Now, it won't POST. Tried the CMOS jumper, tried swapping out the battery. Tried booting with no RAM installed, but had no beeps of response from the system. So, I'm looking to buy a replacement MoBo, because I want my system back, but I can't afford to build a whole new PC (even though I'd prefer to make some upgrades).

Here's my build, minus the board:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 (PC3 10600)
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V
Sony Optiarc Black 24x DVD/CD Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Any recommendations for good MoBos that can tailor to this build? My case fits up to ATX boards.

Biostar A880GZ am3+ for $59.99 at newegg (link broken).

This is a good low budget board. It has overclocking settings in the bios; my board is an older version of this board and came with three levels of overclocking that automatically selects your cpu and ram speed for stability. I would also request an rma from msi if your old board has no visible surface damage or burn marks. It takes 24 hours for msi to respond, and 2-3 weeks for a replacement, which you can sell if you don't need it.

blobdude

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I didn't think RMA would be an option, since the board was purchased nearly 3 years ago. I'll look into it, thanks!

And, if that doesn't pan out, thanks for the recommendation, too.

bretmh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Why don't you just RMA? I've done it near the expiration of the RMA on many items.

sig.jpg