Interested in your thoughts on GPUs

chambered

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I'm currently in the market for a new GPU. I play at 1440x900 (I like it what can I say). My question to you the viewers is this.What card would give me the best chance of maxxing out games on my resolution for a year+ ? Money isn't an object though I can't imagine at my low res it would run more than 500 or so.

Single GPU preferred with the option of sli/xfire later on.

Cpu = i5 2500k
Mobo = asrock P67 extreme4 gen3
Ram = 8g gskill
PSU = hx850
Case = haf 932

Thanks for the insight all.

Assuming it's dollars you can have a top high end card you defenitely don't need at your res. A HD 6870 will do fine at your res. On the other hand you'r sure you never gonne wanne play on higher res. ? ( i love it ) You tried it somewhere ?
Anyway ; if you stick with your res a HD 6870 or a GTX 560 TI should just be fine.
Good brands ; Asus, EVGA, Sapphire, MSI, HIS en XFX maybe.
If money is really no issue i would go for a HD6950 2GB now ( altough it would be a litlle overkill at your res. ) or if you can wait ( don't think you can because you don't seem to have an GPU now ) for the new upcoming 7000 series.

chambered

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Sorry. Yes it's dollars. I don't plan on changing resolutions but who knows? I think my 19 inch at this res is just the right size for me. A 580 seems more like a killing spree than overkill. At most I think a 570 but the 560ti's look pretty nice.

TRUST ME when i say you would not regret upgrading your monitor. Something in the 23inch range is good. I couldn't believe the difference when i recently upgraded from an old 19" like yours, my new 23.6 inch samsung craps all over it, everything looks so much better. Id rather play with lowered detail settings on a bigger/higher res monitor than play 19"/1440x900 maxed out. you wont be able to see maxed out detail at that res.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
dont waste your money on a boss hog card if you have no intention of upgrading to higher res.

as stated above, a 6870 or 560 will keep you in Dx11, maxed games (@ your res for a good while im sure) and its not gonna make you over pay.

considering your current set up though, i cant imagine why you would at least upgrade to a 22" 1680x1050 monitor and still get the above mentioned card.

to me, amd/nvidia battles are............yeah. eiather card maker will do you justice, however, xfire/sli are both plagued with issues. i would recommend either, instead upgrade single card set ups ever 2 years or so.

chambered

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
i started my gaming with counterstrike in 800x600 and just kept it low. I raised to 1440x900 for battlefield lol. So then If you guys could point me towards a nice monitor in the suggested size range that would be appreciated.

I've heard a lot of issues with sli/xfire which is why I prefer a single card setup. Sli/xfire is just a future option. On a 22inch or whatnot at those higher resolutions how hard would it be for s ingle card to max or close to max for a few years?

What graphics card do you now have? The reason I ask, is that if you do not make a significant jump of several tiers in gpu power, you are likely to be disappointed.

Your 2500K is as good as it gets for gaming. It will drive ANY graphics configuration well.

I agree with going to a larger monitor. You will see more of the game at one time. Currently 1080P seems to be the resolution of choice. If your budget is $1000 or so, then 2560 x 1600 is great. At 1080P, the load on the graphics card is the same, regardless of the size of the monitor, be it 22" or 27" or even a 60"TV. Something like 24" would be good for a desktop user. Plan on keeping your smaller monitor if you can fit it on your desktop. It is most useful to hold static stuff like e-mail,performance m onitors...etc. It will not hurt gaming performance on the main monitor.

As to which monitor, I like Samsung. They make the panels for many, if not most, monitor vendors. I think they keep the best samples for themselves. I have never seen a dead pixel with a Samsung monitor. You will pay about $230 for a good 24" one. Go ahead and do it. A good monitor will last you through several generations of PC's. You will see it and touch it every day, so get the best you feel comfortable paying for.
Here is one for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001388

A GTX560ti will drive a 1080P well. A GTX570 is really about as good as you need to be. The 6950 and 6970 are the equivalent cards from ati. Do not worry much about minor differences and benchmarks. The graphics card business is very competitive so you get what you pay for. I would also avoid multi-gpu solutions. They may show well in FPS benchmarks but are prone to microstuttering which is very annoying.