ATI Radeon HD 5670 very bad lag

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I have an ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 and am trying to play Cod Black ops but I cant play without lag even is I set the quality on low I don't know what to do nomore please help

my build is:

Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz
PNY 8gb kit
ASUS P5G41T-M LX mobo
400w inland power supply
running windows 7 64 bit home premium

thanks

What is your resolution? Try lowering it, to see what effect it has. If performance significantly improves, your weakness is the GPU, and you will likely need to upgrade it (and the PSU) for better performance. If it does not change at all (or becomes worse), the bottleneck is your older CPU.

What do you mean by lag?

If you mean when you shoot, and 1 second later it hits the guy - you might just have a crappy ISP (this just means you have a high ping time which makes most games unplayable).

If you mean lag as in, the game is unplayable, and your frame rates are low (say below 30 FPS) you could possibly have driver issues. Have you updated to the latest catalyst 10.8 driverS?

Do you have other games? Do they do the same thing?

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

I hope is not the graphic card since i just bought it 2 weeks ago and I have tryed lowering the resolution before witout luck :(
but the resolution is currently set at 1920 x 1080 "(Recommended)" Windows

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

the game is umplayable frame per seconds are low when there is a shootout or am moving where can i see what my FPS are?

Yes I have updated the drivers

I do not have any other game do you know a demo I could download and test it

Thanks

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

I tryed lowering everything and the game looks horrible and still lags
btw am trying to play the campaign

Pimpinabox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of your ingame settings and weaker components. Try 1280x720 res and all the lowest settings. This game is more on the cpu intensive side.

Alright. You have a semi-decent computer and a medium range video card, although it should still run Black ops fine.

Do you have a lot of programs running while you play? If you have a lot of programs open (even background processes), that could cause your game to lag/be slow as well.

Has it been this bad before?

One thing you could try is running a program like "Game Booster" which disables unnecessary software when you start a game, and renables those programs once your done playing. I've used it before, and it works good. I belive theres another program out there that does a similar thing. They are free as well.

Also you might want to do a stress test on your RAM to make sure they are working correctly...although that may not even be an issue if you don't experience random crashes. But I would just check anyways.

To test CPU - Prime 95

To test RAM - memtest 86

Both programs are tiny and easy to use.

Also what is the resolution you are using "in game"? Not your desktop resolution as they can be different. Also, what quality level for graphics are you using in your game? (High, medium, low).

Also it could be your power supply, as someone else mentioned here. It is a bit on the weak side even for your video card that you have. Do you happen to have a spare power supply you could try out (one that is higher, say a 520watt PSU?). If not, don't go running out to buy one just yet, it may be some other issue possibly.

http://pcgames.gwn.com/downloads/type.php/dltype/1/

Lots of game demos.

Settings:
Change COD Black Ops settings not only to LOW, but also set the RESOLUTION to the very lowest setting.

You should not have "lag" with a low resolution. It's likely that with 1920x1080 even the lowest graphics settings are too much.

You'll have to experiment with the resolution and other options. Some options like SHADOWS and Anti-Aliasing take a huge hit.

Run FRAPS when experimenting with the settings. You should aim for about 40FPS. (don't bother with VSYNC, you'd need 60FPS)

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Video mode : 800x 600 (at the moment but i tried some of them already)
Full screen: yes but tried window mode too no luck
Anti-aliasing : Off
Aspect ratio: Auto
Screen refesh rate: 60 Hz

Texture filtering: Automatic
Anisotropic filtering: 0
Texture quality: Normal

Brightness: 2
Shadows : Yes
Bullet impacts : Yes
Number of corpses: Medium

RadeonPro:

You might like to try an interesting option called "Always On (Double VSync)"

This will enable VSYNC but it will work at 30FPS instead of 60FPS. So:

1) play around with FRAPS and settings to get around 35FPS

2) Install RadeonPro, drag the main EXE for COD Black Ops into it and then change that setting under "Tweaks"

3) run CODBO and verify you're getting a solid 30FPS at times (VSYNC eliminates screen tearing)

This MAY look better, and for two reasons:
a) no screen tearing
b) keeps constant frame rate

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Hi, right when I first played this game on my 3.6ghz core2 with Radeon HD3870 512mb it was unplayable ON THE FIRST MISSION ONLY. After the bar it was perfectly playable with SHADOWS OFF, with them on it was ok but places would cause low teens fps so I gave up on flat out quality and turned them off.

After that I quite enjoyed the game and had NO problems at all but I do suspect the first bit was badly coded to make you want to upgrade.

As for the op's rig I could do the obvious and say overclock as it will help but to be honest the bottom line is dont go above say 1280x800 ish res and make sure AA and SHADOWS off as that should make it ok.

Worst case just put up with it on the first bit in the bar and when the next level loads it WILL be a lot better trust me.

Also as odd as it might sound try older drivers ONLY - no ccc - drivers only perhaps go back to 9.2 if they support the card as after that the weaker cards got a good bit slower, just like anything from the 9xxx era did with anything over 5.xx series and then the x8 and hd2x series after 8.12 drivers.

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Oh and I will add that running win7 wont be helping gaming performance one bit - can you force dx9 mode on that in the game options ?.....if not then that will most likely be your biggest issue as the 5670 wont handle 10 very well, you need a 5770 at least for that.

After that you try disabling INDEXING on the hard drive which always speeds up windows no end and turning off system restore (only if you are a capable user - no offence but it is a system hog) after that if what I put above doesnt help then your only last resort would be to install XP and enjoy 30% faster games. Anyone who says 7 is as good as xp for games (not counting forced dx10 support obv) is flat out wrong as the os overheads are immense. Last thought - disable AV progs and stay offline when playing.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

Your problem is your CPU. Black Ops is extremely CPU heavy becasue a bunch of retarded monkeys coded it.

Pimpinabox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
As stated dozens of times, do ALL of the lowest settings including turning things off. Use 1280x720 res, that will keep the resolution in line with the native res of your monitor.

A 5670 is a weak card from a generation ago, and if you want to play games that are about to come out (mw3 or battlefield 3) you're going to have to upgrade anyway. Since its only 2 weeks old, I'd return it and order at least a 6770 (or 5770, they're the same thing). They're about 120 bucks on newegg. Might even find it cheaper elsewhere. If you plan on gaming much, just save yourself the trouble and upgrade, even if you have to wait and save up more money.

fefo360

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Your main problem is that you are trying to play a very demanding game, and unfortunately the low-end of Recommended Hardware for games is often unplayable for most people.

There are games out there that look and run great on lower-end hardware, but this is not one.

Upgrading your graphics card isn't much of an answer if you are also bottlenecked by your CPU. Also, your Power Supply is likely just barely good enough for the card that you have now so a better card would need a better PSU.

IMO if you want to play the newer games you should either invest at least $800 in a gaming PC that you custom built to save money, or go with an XBox 360 or PS3.

Pimpinabox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
You won't need to invest 800 bucks in a gaming pc. Your current PSU won't affect gaming whatsoever and is plenty powerful enough for a 5770.

If you take the parts from the PC you already have, order a mother board, processor, ram and video card you can spend about 400 bucks and have a nice rig. As long as it all fits in your current case and runs off your current power supply, everything else is universal. For about 350 bucks plus shipping you can get a core i3 2100($120), a decent mobo($80), a HD6770($120), and 4 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram ($30) as prices stand at the time of writing.

Don't listen to everyone telling you that you'll need some beefy power supply, a 500 watt is MORE than sufficient for most mid end systems. Always err on the safe side though and input the parts you have into a psu calculator like this one http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to see if you have enough power. For the system I listed earlier plus 2 hdd's and 2 dvd roms at about 25% capacitor aging (over time a power supply loses wattage capacity) the PSU needed to be about 400 watts, which is what you already have. Max load was 343 watts.