Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will USB 3.0 work with USB 2.0 Inputs?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2012 3:19:13 AM

I'm buying a new case soon and the one that I wanted has USB 3.0 plugs on the front of the case. My motherboard only supports 2.0, will I have to buy some type of converter. Or Will I be able to connect the USB 3.0 on the case into the ports on my motherboard with no problem?

I know that USB 1.1 worked with USB 2.0, but I never had a chance to look at USB 3.0, I don't even know if the connecters are the same.

More about : usb work usb inputs

Best solution

a c 176 V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 3:33:47 AM

hgivens said:
I'm buying a new case soon and the one that I wanted has USB 3.0 plugs on the front of the case. My motherboard only supports 2.0, will I have to buy some type of converter. Or Will I be able to connect the USB 3.0 on the case into the ports on my motherboard with no problem?

I know that USB 1.1 worked with USB 2.0, but I never had a chance to look at USB 3.0, I don't even know if the connecters are the same.

The USB 3.0 motherboard headers are incompatible with USB 2.0 motherboard headers.

Some cases don't use headers though, instead they're basically just extension cables which must be plugged into a USB 2.0/3.0 port which can be on the back of the motherboard or from a header on the motherboard.
!