My new computer i built has random stuttering in all games

Thegamesterkid

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well i just built my new computer for like 1200 bucks and it is not giving the performance i thought it would.To start off this extremly long ass story, I started to get more and more games off steam and i noticed in all of them that there is this random lag like itll be in the 200fps for left for dead then down to 20 and back up to 200. I have the latest drivers installed. I mean ALL my games including terraria which my ******* 5 year old laptop can run. Games are Witcher 2,l4d2,l4d,gmod.terraira,stalker(s),gta4, all of these games will lag no matter what and it makes it unplayable. Its like when dead island first came out for pc and it laged every 10 sec thats what my computer feels like. Anyway ive sorted down the problem to either my MOBO,PSU or maybe my hardrive idk. Its not the drivers or the 2 gfx cards i had. IVe taken off one of them and ran test on both and theres no diffrence in performance. im really confused here because i though for 1200 bucks i would get quality parts but idk lifes unfair OOPS i forgot my computer specs
Asrock890fx
2 sapphire tech 6870s
8 gig vengance 1600mhz
nzxt phantom case
cosair 80 gold+650 watt
phenom x4 965 at 4.1 ghz
7200 rpm 500 gig
Also its not the micro stuttering i here all the time on the web it does the same thing weither its in crossfire or not so dont tell me that. Ive tried everything i can think of now its just what part is defective and replacing it.I will comment back or anwser any questions u have. im thinking its the psu because if its faulty its pulsing out underpowed amps and that may cause the fps dips randomly

Solution

Your forgetting his cpu alone is using about 163w and we don't even know if he has factory OC'd gpu's or if he's OC'ing them.

Recommending someone skimp on the most important component of the computer is just dumb.

Guru3d Recommends:

Radeon HD 6870 x1

On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

Radeon HD 6870 x2

A second card requires you to...
I have had similar results on STEAM.

One time Steam was pulling an update that I was not aware of and it impacted performance significantly however ran normally afterwards.

Another time I was having issues with COD Black OPs. However I found out this was a known issue which was fixed in Catalyst Version 11.9. Make sure you are running on the current drivers. Their past few releases fixed a lot of issues:

Catalyst 11.9 Release Notes:

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System:
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™ 11.9 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

STALKER – Call of Pripyat no longer hangs randomly when launching a new game or opening a previously saved game.
Scaling options are now correctly displayed when connecting a Digital monitor to the Display port on some video cards.
The following games no longer experience random hangs during game loading :
Call of Duty – Black Ops
F1 2010
Dungeon Siege 3
The following games no longer hang intermittently during gameplay:
Battlefield - Bad Company 2
Borderlands
Dead Rising 2
The following games no longer hangs while running the benchmark :
Serious Sam 2
Resident Evil 5
HAWX 2

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Yeah steam sucks when updated, like New Vegas has problems. I don't like steam for one reason, it just sucks. They rip you off and your rather just find a way to play it without steam. I mean MW2 and Black Ops are still expensive, Black Ops was like horrible, MW3 hopefully will be good if not Battlefield 3 is my second game or Elder Scrolls.

Your forgetting his cpu alone is using about 163w and we don't even know if he has factory OC'd gpu's or if he's OC'ing them.

Recommending someone skimp on the most important component of the computer is just dumb.

Guru3d Recommends:

Radeon HD 6870 x1

On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

Radeon HD 6870 x2

A second card requires you to add another ~150 Watts. You need a 700 Watt power supply unit in a high end system.

The more you overclock and tweak, the more power you will use, adapt to that, we always advise you to get a power supply that is more capable then you'll use, have some reserves, please, do not let a PSU be a limitation.

There are many good PSUs out there, please do have a look at our many PSU reviews as we have loads of recommended PSUs for you to check out in there. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load?:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down

Solution
Steam is a great service and lets me keep in touch with other friends.
I have over 170 games on steam and have yet to find an outstanding issue other than when i chat sometimes it disconnects.
I agree. I love steam and I buy games from no where else. There are just too many advantages to buy from them.
■Don't have buy games off the shelf
■100% of the data is saved to your hard drive so games load faster
■The Steam Community
■When they have sales the prices can be amazingly good.
■Among many other reasons.

No, I am not interested in origin (especially with their EULA) and if EA pulls there games from steam then I guess I will not be buying EA games anymore.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/796040-new-crossfire-micro-stutter-fix.html try this stuttering fix. Also remove the overclock from your cpu to cut back on the power consumption and check the temperatures of everything. Your psu could be overloaded and/or your gpu's/cpu might be getting to hot and throttling back. Also enable vsync, you dont need 200fps, cap it to your monitors refresh rate with vsync. See if any of those suggestions work. It may also be a case of a corrupt windows install. There's plenty of things to try, now get going.

WOW! I am not the original poster but that is great advice! Good post!

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I would say it is a micro stuttering issue, but you say you tested it with one card. Did you turn off SLI when you tested just the one card, and did you test both cards individually in the first PCI-E slot?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-5.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/324422-15-6870-crossfire-microstutter
http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/khxhq/crossfire_6870s_and_microstuttering/

Now your digging deep fanboy. We all know about the microstuttering too. Nivida has problems in games with the same thing, As you see in the actual benchmarks that I posted, you'll see it's performance is very very good compared to more expensive Nvidia offerings.

It's obvious this is a power supply overload issue.

Thegamesterkid

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
alright srry for not responding sooner had some buissness, i finnaly got my crossfire working now and NO i dont need a new power supply and i lowered my cpu dowm to 3,6ghz. I no longer see microstuttering, i tried the cards individually and they both worked sooo ya. Thanks for all your replys. The problem was that windows wasnt applying gfx updates so the drivers clashed and caused stuttering

Thegamesterkid

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Also thanks to the guy who said somthing about guru 3d and power consumtion i selected that as best anwser anyway i may consider a new power supply but everything seems to be running fine. Also the new egg calculater said that my minumum power requirment was 673 for crossfire and cpu slightly overclocked so i assumed i was ok