Sign in with
Your question

What can cause Asrock X79-Extreme9 Motherboard to fail twice?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2012 10:08:17 AM

Hi Guys,

About 4 months ago I bought an Asrock X79-Extreme9 (Awsome board btw) and it worked for almost 2 months until one morning when I wanted to switch on the PC it didn't want to start up at all (completely dead, no fanspin or anything, although LED light shows on keyboard?). Did my normal fault finding procedures as I know my way with hardware. Almost thought it was my PSU, but after a few minutes/resets of the BIOS it started up. Worked perfectly fine for the whole day and the next morning ,again the exact same issue but resetting the CMOS didn't work. I hooked up my old Gigabyte mobo & CPU with everything else still the same. PC worked perfectly. So the Asrock mobo died and I sent it in.

So after almost a month, the suppliers in my country couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and I got a new Extreme9. I received it in the afternoon and the IT guys assembled the PC. It worked perfectly. The next morning, AGAIN it didn't want to start. It failed after almost 6 hours use? I took it back to the PC shop where they assembled my rig and they sent it in.

The shop contacted me after 3 weeks and said that the back of the RAM slot has burnt. They told me it's physical damage and that I must pay for repairs...(All my RAM sticks are still working) I called the suppliers of the PC shop themselves and they said they will send it to Asrock to see what the cause might be. A month has passed and still no feedback.

So guys, please, any suggestions as to what might be causing this motherboard to fail? (I'm getting tired of waiting for replacements)

FYI:

-I'm also using a RCT-2000VA UPS for the past year. Don't know if this can affect the motherboard??
My 4-year-old motherboard is still working perfectly in this setup...? And I also put in an extra GTX 260 for added Physx to try to strain it. Still works perfectly.

-Using both CPU 8-pin power from PSU. (Motherboard has 2x 8-pins) Don't know maybe only one is supposed to be used?? but then again the 1st motherboard lasted almost 2 months, this one just 6 hours??

-I don't overclock.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated,
Thank you.

My Current Rig that works:
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R , Core2Duo E8600 3.3GHz , Corsair AX1200 , Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x4GB , Gigabyte GTX680 with GTX 260 as dedicated Physx card.

a c 435 V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 10:52:28 AM

What voltage is the ram running at? 1.35-1.5 is recommended.
December 10, 2012 11:21:17 AM

o1die said:
What voltage is the ram running at? 1.35-1.5 is recommended.

Hi o1die,

Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM's XMP profile recommends 1.65V. I assume it ran at 1.65V as I don't fiddle with voltage settings. The ram ran at 1333MHz at very first start-up, but I went into the BIOS to change it to run on the XMP 1.2 profile of the ram (1600MHz 7-8-7-20 if I remember correctly) I have checked on Asrock's website and the motherboard does support this 1.2 XMP version.

Do you think the motherboard cannot handle more than 1.5V?

From what I have heard this motherboard can handle RAM with voltage requirements far more than 1.65V...
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 11:25:26 AM

That is your most likely problem. You can reduce the voltage to 1.5v and see what speed the board selects, or sell your old sticks and get some samsung 1.35v, which are only $35 at newegg, and are highly rated for overclocking. I toured the austin tx samsung facility; it's impressive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 10, 2012 2:15:16 PM

Thanks o1die,

As I mentioned, I don't overclock, at all.

I love Corsair as I have used their products for years now and never had any issues, at all.
also, those Samsungs are slow very high latency modules

Also just did a bit more research on the Asrock board, the memory voltage supported is from 1.200 V to 1.800 V, I then believe this motherboard should handle 1.65V @ default XMP 1.2 settings with ease. 1.65V RAM should in any case be supported naturally as these

Kingston Hyper-X KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX , 4x 4Gb kit - support Intel XMP, DDR3-1866 , CL9 , 1.65v - 240pin

are supported at the Asrock X79-extreme9's Memory Support List

But yes, thanks o1die for bringing that to my attention. I see now that almost 80% of all RAM's are at 1.5V. I'll be investigating this further, you might be on to something, but I doubt that this is what caused this fault.

Thank you.

Also guys any other possible causes would be helpfull.

December 10, 2012 5:59:53 PM

If you don't overclock why did you even buy an Extreme9 in the first place?

ASRock boards give up stability/reliability for performance and high clocks. If you dont OC then you could have gotten a DX79SI for almost 100 dollars cheaper, and more stable, or if you needed the expandability you could have gotten the GA-X79-UD3 for more than 100 dollars savings.
December 11, 2012 3:17:36 AM

darksparten said:
If you don't overclock why did you even buy an Extreme9 in the first place?

ASRock boards give up stability/reliability for performance and high clocks. If you dont OC then you could have gotten a DX79SI for almost 100 dollars cheaper, and more stable, or if you needed the expandability you could have gotten the GA-X79-UD3 for more than 100 dollars savings.

Because of the 12 SATA ports (got a lot of hard drives), Dual LAN,game blaster, Awesome looks.

I wanted to buy the P9X79 deluxe but it only had 8 SATA's and no appeal, starting to think I should have taken that instead...
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 10:42:56 AM

It would still be a good idea to sell your ram if possible and get some relatively inexpensive replacement sticks. Chris, the local Intel rep, suggested 1.5v also, saying some folks were having problems with higher voltage ram. This is much cheaper than replacing motherboards.
February 21, 2013 3:52:40 AM

o1die said:
It would still be a good idea to sell your ram if possible and get some relatively inexpensive replacement sticks. Chris, the local Intel rep, suggested 1.5v also, saying some folks were having problems with higher voltage ram. This is much cheaper than replacing motherboards.

Hi o1die/guys

Sorry for the late response.

The motherboard finally came back from repairs. (Just arrived at the suppliers)

I'm following your advice on the lower voltage ram - just waiting for the mobo to actually arrive back to the PC shop where I bought…
I'm still scared to put this back into my PC build though. Asrock didn't send me a report or any information regarding as to what the reason for failure was.(which is extremely unprofessional in my opinion)

I specifically told them not to repair at first and ONLY give me the reason for failure before they repair – They just repaired and I got informed this week that the motherboard is back in my country…and that I must pay a nice X amount for the repairs.

I truly hope the lower voltage RAM resolves this issue - If not then I believe this Asrock X79-Xtreme9 is a very poor quality/unreliable motherboard/brand.
Just want people to know how I have experienced this product.

As soon as I receive the motherboard I will post an update and let you know if it works longer than a week...

!