Dec 24, 2004
System:
Win 7
intel i-5 750 @ 2.67
4gig ram
Sound blaster audio card
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55
Tough Power 750watt

I start up Deus X and once it gets through the loading screen the game will just freeze up and I see a bunch of red boxes/lines that go on the screen. My computer will then restart it self. Now, I also see grahpics glitches during the boot up when I see my mobo screen so maybe its not the video card? I also want to add that when I start it up at other times I dont see any issues. Just seems to be when I start a game.

I have taken GPU out and sprayed compressed air everywhere and also made sure that my GPU was in the slot as well as the cords being in. Not ocing anything as well.

Is my GPU taking a dump???

bucknutty

Distinguished
Graphical glitching during posting and bootup is almost always the video card. Just for fun remove and clean the system ram and blow out the ram slots.

A few years ago a 4870 was high end. Many of the expensive cards have a three year warranty, look into it you might still be covered.

nightmare106

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I think the problem may lie in the game itself. To be sure, if you have any old parts or a friend / neighbour that can borrow his PC and then try systematically removing the problem by trying one piece of hardware at a time.

papasmurf12345

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
Blew out ram and no luck. I checked saphire website and I guess I only had a two year on it and I bought mine over that...I will see if I can find someone with a card that I can try out.

If I do have to get a new one any suggestions? I read something on the net about the 7000 coming out and I really dont mind waiting it they are right around the corner.

If you are looking for an upgrade rather than merely replace you might want to wait for the HD 7000 series. Out of the single GPU cards out there right now, in the AMD camp only the HD 6970 can match the raw performance of a 4870x2. In the nvidia camp, the GTX 570 is roughly comparable to the 6970, though it is faster in some situations, and the GTX 580 is a bit faster than the 570, but ridiculously expensive for the performance boost it gives you above the 6970/570. For a particularly significant performance boost (more than 10% or so) you'd have to look at SLI or Crossfire options, or one of the current dual GPU cards.

papasmurf12345

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
Well, the card is officially done now...was going in and out but now its done so I will have to get a new graphics card. At my resolution will it be pointless to get a 6970? I mean, should I be ok with a 6950?

A 6970 is ok if you are not willing to roll the dice on a 6950 and trying to unlock it. I wouldn't settle for any thing less than what I would need. A 6950 will pull its weight at most resolutions but with new games coming out I wouldn't count on it unless below 1920x1080. Also be sure that it is a high quality sample and not a cheap kamikaze that most modern cards are these days because when they pull this gen from production the next gen cards are not going to be plentiful for at least the first half of next year.