Awful texture pop-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

uuarman

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I'm having a problem with textures rendering ridiculously close to me in just about every game I play. It's not the games' engines themselves - I can record an example if necessary. It's happening with new games, as well as games that are almost a decade old.

I made a similar thread a while back. But at the time, I was under the impression that it might have been caused by my video card. Since then, I've upgraded my video card, and the issue is still present. I've read that this might be caused by a directx error, so I even reinstalled my os, but nothing changed. It's not a driver problem either - I've completely uninstalled my video drivers and installed new ones multiple times. I've seen in threads where people are having similar problems that their systems are reporting that only some of their ram is "usable", but my system doesn't have a problem detecting mine. All settings in the catalyst control center have been set to default.

I'm positive that I wasn't experiencing this problem when my rig was first built, about six months ago. I would have noticed. This is really hindering my enjoyment of nearly every game, and I have no clue what to do. Any feedback would be appreciated.

System specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
Asus P8P67 (rev 3.0)
i5 2500k @ 3.30 GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 1gb gddr5
4gb ram

uuarman

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for replying. Morphological anti-aliasing is off. I might just upgrade to 8gb ram soon and see if that changes anything. One thing I haven't thought about until now is resolution. I bought a new 1920 x 1080 monitor around a month ago. The resolution on my old monitor was marginally lower, and I don't really remember noticing the problem on that. Could that have something to do with the issue?

Also, I'm using a 700w power supply, if that makes a difference.

uuarman

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hm. Well, is defective ram a possibility? I'm just trying to think of something. I assume this is a hardware issue. I just switched back to my old monitor, and that didn't help.

I see what you are taking about in the video. (The wood wagon or what ever it is tipped over on its side).

How deep do you have to get in the game to reach that level? I got Far Cry 2 on Steam a few months ago but have not played yet.

Let me know how to get that part and I will test with my HD 6870 to see if I get the same results.

Are you running that in DX9? DX10.1?

Out of Curiosity what was your previous videocard?

uuarman

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
There's that, plus even the foliage or pretty much anything else shouldn't be coming into view that close. Check out the house at the very end - how the texture flickers, and the level of detail decreases so suddenly. I can understand why games do this generally, but it seems way off at this short of a distance. I'm having a hard time believing that I'm just being picky.

This is actually right at the beginning of the game, outside of the house where you start, a bit after the intro.

My previous card was a gigabyte HD 5770.

uuarman

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Your video is set to private, so I can't view it. But if you are getting the same results, that seems strange. I don't see why it would only happen on AMD cards. I guess it's possible that I've just never paid as much attention to detail, but it's still pretty annoying.

Can anyone else confirm?

AMD Calayst 11.11 just got released. Look what it fixes:

The resolved issues part of the release notes include fixed issue of corrupted images and textures in Rage, correct bezel compensation for Far Cry 2, fixed screen tearing while moving a window on the desktop in Clone or Eyefinity mode, fixed black screen issue when extending displays, fixed random crashing of Homefront when Crossfire is enabled, fixed DC - Universe Online title crash problems.

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/24865-amd-rolls-out-catalyst-1111-driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS