enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hi, I had a corsair H50 and the pump died on me, so now im looking for suggestions for a new CPU cooler. I need a cooler that is compatible with an AMD Phenom II x6 1090t Black edition and will fit inside an NZXT Lexa-s case. Im not too bothered about the price though around the £50-75 price point would be preferable. Also the CPU is at stock settings.

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
thanks for the quick reply, i was thinking about getting an air cooler but after looking on google/forums most of the ones that get recommended seem pretty big and when i check the respective stats on the product sites it seems as though they might fit with only a few mm to spare. With such tight margins i figured i'd ask someone who knows better as i dont want to go and spend £50 to find out its too big to fit in my case.

CPU COOLER CLEARANCE - right from NXZT.
141.0mm (with fan)
166.0mm (without fan)
So if you went with a decent air cooler like the Evo you'd lose the side fan.
Side fan are pretty much useless imo.
I've tested my cases with and without and you're lucky if you get a noticeable temp drop.
If you want to keep the side fan = buy another kit.
Corsair H60 - 5yr warranty
http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-cooling-hydro-series-h60-high-performance-cpu-cooler-7JSM.html?utm_source=td&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=TB00?ReferrerID=tb&utm_source=td&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=TB00

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to keep the side fan on (im a sucker for the blue led xD). I think i could probably get away with it as the side fan is an inch or so below the cpu. The figures that have gotten me a little confused are those you quoted from the nzxt site. I wasnt sure if that took into account the motherboard/cpu. So if it does take that into account, i have 166 mm of clearance (Max). If thats the case i have been looking at something like this Noctua NH-D14. From the product site it shows its height at 160mm. This should in theory fit inside my case right?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

The noctua will fit for sure and you should get at least five degree cooler temps then your old cooler. The noctua is basically the best sub 100 dollar cooler you can get

Yes but you'll definitely lose the side fan.
Better cooler if you want large = quieter then D-14 and cheaper.
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-silver-arrow-heat-pipe-cpu-cooler-s775-1155-1156-1366-all-amd-includes-2x140mm-silent-t
The cooler that started it all (Double tower design)predecessor of Silver Arrow.
Cogage Arrow CPU Cooler
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cogage-arrow-cpu-cooler-s775-1366-1156-1155-and-amd-754-939-940-am2-am2plus-am3-includes-a-120mm-fan

The D-14 is no better then the SA,cost more, and has just as many issues with tall ram kits.
I know you have a D-14 so i understand you like it alot.
I run sub $50 air coolers on my three rigs and temps are excellent.
Personally i don't think anyone needs $80+ coolers unless they have 120W+ cpu's.

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
After checking the noctua site and finding no compatability issues with my motherboard i think im going to go ahead and get the nh-d14. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Ripjaws aren't guaranteed to be compatible with a silver arrow so it has a lot of compatibility issue you can assume since Lot of people have that ram or similar ram.

I would agree about not needing that big of a cooler but the cooler the better is true.

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

As far as im aware my cpu (AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition) is a 120W+ cpu

Well if you can spend exactly 40$ at newegg. You can get a Corsair A70. you won't loose the side fans or rear fans. trust me. I am a AMD user my self. this Cooler is by far the easiest to install. Look up a video for it

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion but i live in the UK so newegg is not an option for me here. I had a quick look and the cheapest place i could find that cooler, from a reputable shop, was only around £10 cheaper than the NH-D14 i've been looking at.

enyxiel760

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
just thought i'd update everyone, i bought the NH-D14 and fitted it yesterday. it fits quite nicely in the case and i got to keep the side fan as i thought. theres about 2cm clearance between the two.

thanks for everyones help. How do i close this/mark as solved?