Sign in with
Your question

2 Identical PCs, 1 can't access internet

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2012 6:30:09 PM

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone can tell me whether this is a Motherboard issue.

My husband and I built our own PCs based on recommended parts from this site. The build was easy and both pcs have performed beautifully, until recently.

My husband's PC was originally directly connected via ethernet cable to our Cisco router. My PC was connected via a Rosewill wireless adapter. Things were fine for about 7 months and then suddenly his PC booted one day and said there was no network available. We tried to reinstall our Cisco router key, that did nothing. We bought a new ethernet cable, nothing. We ran malware, nothing. I tried using my wireless adapter on his PC and Cisco gave the message "This PC does not have wireless capability". Huh? That really confused us as we have identical PCs. Same mobos, some processors, memory, hard drives, etc. Only thing different were the video cards.

We're running on Windows 7 64-bit. We've tried a number of solutions and nothing is working. Right now his PC cannot connect to any network in any way. We are totally stumped and at this point we think it may be a hardware issue but not sure.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
December 10, 2012 7:12:35 PM

Ok to answer my own question, I found the fix. The problem was the network adapter. Apparently it was in deep sleep mode.

Anyway for someone with a similar issue. I took off the option to put the network adapter to sleep, I set sleep mode in my Power Plan to Never, and I also reloaded the default values in my BIOS. And presto, I have internet again.
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:19:35 PM

Should be easy to troubleshoot.

Start with the network settings in control panel.
Start>control panel>Network and Internet (category view)> Network and sharing center
or if in icon view> Network and sharing center (icon view).
Change adapter settings on the right action pane. You will see which network adapters are installed in the computer (wired and wireless).
Whichever one is connected should show network, not disabled or not connected.
If all are disabled, enable the one that you want to connect (try wired first)

If you have no network adapters, check device manager for any yellow or red icons which would indicate either a failure of the hardware, lack of a driver, or a disabled network adapter. (device manager can be found by typing in the start>search bar.)

Once you get a connections then you may have to verify TCP/IP parameters.
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:20:31 PM

Donnathesinger said:
Ok to answer my own question, I found the fix. The problem was the network adapter. Apparently it was in deep sleep mode.

Anyway for someone with a similar issue. I took off the option to put the network adapter to sleep, I set sleep mode in my Power Plan to Never, and I also reloaded the default values in my BIOS. And presto, I have internet again.

Good news, I was a bit late in responding.
m
l
!