Çhanged BIOS to boot from disk; now system won't boot

schizandra

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to put this. I have just put together my first build, and before I messed with BIOS, my system was booting just fine. I am installing Windows 7 via disk so I changed BIOS settings to boot from the optical drive. Now my system fails to boot. It attempts to boot, but during the process, the optical drive makes a loud clicking noise and the system powers down. Nothing even shows up on screen. Then it attempts to power up again, optical drive clicks loudly, powers off... over and over again.

I have tried resetting CMOS by moving the CLRTC cap from 1-2 to 2-3. It did not help. Does anyone know of another way to revert the BIOS to default settings?

Also, does anyone have any idea why booting from a disk may cause my system to fail? Thank you.

ETA: my motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth z77 3770K.

schizandra

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Oh and I forgot to mention, even before I changed the BIOS and my system was successfully booting, there was a red LED for my boot device. Does this mean my optical drive was bad to begin with and I shouldn't have tried to boot from it?

schizandra

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I thought of this and tried it already. The PC still fails to boot, and continues to power on and off.