Sign in with
Your question

Çhanged BIOS to boot from disk; now system won't boot

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2012 6:33:30 PM

Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to put this. I have just put together my first build, and before I messed with BIOS, my system was booting just fine. I am installing Windows 7 via disk so I changed BIOS settings to boot from the optical drive. Now my system fails to boot. It attempts to boot, but during the process, the optical drive makes a loud clicking noise and the system powers down. Nothing even shows up on screen. Then it attempts to power up again, optical drive clicks loudly, powers off... over and over again.

I have tried resetting CMOS by moving the CLRTC cap from 1-2 to 2-3. It did not help. Does anyone know of another way to revert the BIOS to default settings?

Also, does anyone have any idea why booting from a disk may cause my system to fail? Thank you.

ETA: my motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth z77 3770K.
December 10, 2012 7:53:57 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, even before I changed the BIOS and my system was successfully booting, there was a red LED for my boot device. Does this mean my optical drive was bad to begin with and I shouldn't have tried to boot from it?
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 8:24:55 PM

Hi, Is the DVD drive connected to one of the black SATA ports?
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 8:36:03 PM

Yes it is; one of the SATA 3 ports w/ a SATA 3 cable (white).
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 4:10:17 AM

It might be a DVD drive issue. If you disconnect it, does the PC boot?
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:38:19 AM

Sounds like a faulty DVD drive to me
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:23:20 PM

alexoiu said:
It might be a DVD drive issue. If you disconnect it, does the PC boot?

I thought of this and tried it already. The PC still fails to boot, and continues to power on and off.
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 4:03:15 AM

Then try this: unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes. Disconnect the DVD drive and the HDD. Then make a bootable USB stick and see if the PC does boot from it.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:48:31 PM

I'll have to get under my mobo's thermal armor to get to the CMOS battery. I have an ASUS Sabertooth z77. Hopefully it's removable...
m
l
!