Nvidia 6800 gt agp POST Fail

nvidia68

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello,
i have a nvidia 6800GT 256mb agp, the other day my computer started failing POST start up but if i unplug the card and try to boot with out it, it passes POST boot i put another graphics card ( ati radeon 128mb) in and it passes POST Boot, i put my nvidia in and fails POST. everything was working the day before this just started out of the blue..please help

if it's failing it may not be able to provide enough power to make the card run. I assume the ati card is older and uses less power. ?
I'd lay money on the card also, but may not be the case..... pick one.........

bucknutty

Distinguished
Finding a decent agp card in this day and age is almost impossible. Best bet rebuild the whole PC with a PCIe board. Or try to score a 3850agp from your favorite auction site. I have a 3850 512agp in an old p4 3.2 box that I use as a htpc. It runs really well and it can play less demanding games such as MW2 at medium settings and 1080.

nvidia68

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
hi guys thanks for the responses , i was just wondering seeing as i have 768mb of ram a 512 stick and a 256 stick could the two different ram stick speeds also cause the card to fail the post?

thanks

bucknutty

Distinguished
nah i mix and match ram all the time. You would not believe the ugly hodge podge of ram we have mixed in our office computers.

Just for fun you could try to remove the ram blow out the slots with compressed air and try each stick one by one. It is possible a ram chip failed. Some times a bad ram chips has similar symptoms to a bad video card.

nvidia68

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
thanks bucknutty for the reply i dont think its the ram, if the ram was faulty it would not pass post even with the graphics card out, i took out each ram module and plugged them in one at a time with the Graphics card plugged in and i still get the same symtoms i also tested the power connectores that plug into the card and i`m getting a above norming reading on all them ( they reading 5.1 volts unless the higher reading is also showing that its faulty as of now i`m lost and dont know what to do, its going to cost me too much money to try and buy a suitable replacment for it.

i may just wait and upgrade my system to a i5 with a HD 9 series gpu or something similare.

bucknutty

Distinguished
chances are the 6800 has a molex connector like the one for the hard drive or dvd drive. Ot it might have the small connector like the one for an old school floppy drive.

red wire should be 5 volts
yellow should be 12 volts
blacks are ground.

I would try to get a used AGP card on your favorate auction site like fleebay.

nvidia68

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
thanks for the reply, i tested the yellow wire and it was reading 5.1 volts dont think thats normal, havent tested the red wire yet but i will tonight when i get home from work. thanks again for your help