Customizing System Restore to create custom restore points..

Hello... I was wondering if there was a way to disable automatic restore
point generation, yet be able to generate custome restore points... Like the
restore points XP automatically creates when you install new software or
simply when it feels like... Turning off system restore completely deletes
all restore points... Can somebody guide me? A manual method or a way around
would do as well...
3 answers Last reply
More about customizing system restore create custom restore points

    Asim--

    I don't believe there are any ways to customize restore points and I'm not
    sure at all why you need to. I'm guessing you are concerned about real
    estate SR takes up--MSFT defaults it to 12% way more than you need for your
    hard driver or each drive you've partitioned to. That makes it along with
    Temp Files and Recycle Bin the King of Space Hogs in Windows XP. Why not
    simply hit the Windows + Pause Break keys and on the SR tab on the System
    Properties dialogue box slide that baby to a smaller %--I run with 3% and SR
    has worked just fine. There are 5-6 default times when SR creates points
    but the points themselves don't have a downside.

    Some references are here:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295299&sd=tech

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

    http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2177311

    I'm curious--none of my business--but why are you trying to do this? I'd
    like to help.

    There are also 3rd party SR appliations that some XP enthusiasts favor--like

    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    hth,

    Chad Harris
    _____________________________________
    "Asim" <Asim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hello... I was wondering if there was a way to disable automatic restore
    point generation, yet be able to generate custome restore points... Like the
    restore points XP automatically creates when you install new software or
    simply when it feels like... Turning off system restore completely deletes
    all restore points... Can somebody guide me? A manual method or a way around
    would do as well...

    Asim--

    David's post reminded me of something I should have said. You have some
    flexibility as to *how often* certain restore points are created, and some
    other system restore parameters, and you can control this to an extent with
    SR registry key edits.

    See:

    The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295659&Product=winxp

    This information is from Jim Boyce's excellent book: *Windows XP Power
    Tools*

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078214067X/102-4148723-4646546?v=glance

    A restore point is created the first time you boot after XP installation.
    Thereafter points are created as David said, plus at these events:

    Install of Windows Updates
    When you perform a restore operation
    Install of unsigned device drivers
    Use of the MSI (Windows Installer) or Install Shield to install a program

    You should reflexly create a restore point when you install significant
    applications, drivers, when you try different drivers, when you install
    programs that don't use the MSI or Install Shield, or try any program or
    move that makes you think whether you should create a restore point. It's a
    quick protectie move, and a good one. Just put "restore" in your run box
    and click on "rstrui" and it's up and ready to roll.

    You can create more restore points automatically with value changes in this
    key:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\ System Restore

    RPGlobalInterval: A DWORD value specifying the number of seconds that SR
    waits before creating an automatic restore point bsed on a calendar date.
    The default setting is 86,400 seconds (24 hours). You can titrate the
    seconds.

    RPSessionInterval A DWORD value specifying the number of seconds that SR
    waits before creating an automatic restore point based on system uptime.
    The default setting is 0 seconds which switches this function off.

    By default, restore points are kept 90 days, and then automatically deleted.
    IF SR grows to occupy more than 90% of available storage space before that,
    it delets the oldest restore points so that it has 25% of remaing restore
    available space free for creating restore points.

    If you select SR in disk cleanup, XP purges all restore points but the
    latest.

    To change the length of time that restore points are kept, adjust the
    RPLifeInterval value entry in the SR key. The default setting is 7,776,000
    seconds (90 days).

    If the system drive has less than 200 MBof free space or a non-system drive
    less than 50MB, SR is suspended when a file it's tracking is modified,
    copied, or deleted. This suspension applies to all of the disks, not just
    the one short of space. When you free 200MB of space on the system disk or
    50MB on the non-system disk, either wait 15 minutes for SR to notice and
    restart itself or you can go to Start>run> or windows key + r and in the run
    box type "restore" and then select "rstrui" and SR will then start
    immediately.

    Win XP doesn't preserve SR settings if you reinstall XP or do an upgrade
    from Windows XP from Home Edition to Professional. However, I have seen it
    preserve restore settings on an inplace/upgrade or "repair" install. That
    is not a guarantee nor is restoring all your settings and data, but you have
    an excellent chance.

    It's just my opinion, but I seen a number of boxes where people complain
    they need more hard drive space (this is becoming less of a problem as they
    are manufactured larger), and they could gain valuable real estate by moving
    that SR slider over to less than 12%. How or why the SR team arbitrarily
    chose such a large number is difficult to understand. Also although in
    theory SR defaults to 90 days of restore points, for whatever reasons, I
    have never seen this many.

    Improper ("dirty") shutdowns can corrupt restore points, and that is always
    an incentive not to have them when shutdown is elective.

    Shutdown May Affect System Restore
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283096&Product=winxp

    Chad Harris

    "Asim" <Asim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hello... I was wondering if there was a way to disable automatic restore
    point generation, yet be able to generate custome restore points... Like the
    restore points XP automatically creates when you install new software or
    simply when it feels like... Turning off system restore completely deletes
    all restore points... Can somebody guide me? A manual method or a way around
    would do as well...

    Auto ones are done by Task Scheduler. Disable task scheduler.

    Auto generated ones are done every 10 hours of uptime AND 24 hours of clock time. Though it requires 15 minutes of inactivity to finish the restore point.

    Your setup programs are manually creating a restore point, not all do.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Asim" <Asim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34133D42-3B48-44D1-87A8-60FBD03EC751@microsoft.com...
    > Hello... I was wondering if there was a way to disable automatic restore
    > point generation, yet be able to generate custome restore points... Like the
    > restore points XP automatically creates when you install new software or
    > simply when it feels like... Turning off system restore completely deletes
    > all restore points... Can somebody guide me? A manual method or a way around
    > would do as well...

Configuration Microsoft Customization System Restore Windows XP