Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2012 10:50:13 PM

Hi im looking to upgrade my motherboard this christmas, I currently have a MSI H55M-E23 ( http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H55M-E23.html#?div=Detail ). This will be used for gaming and the brand im looking at is asus. My socket is limited to a Intel 1156 as of right now. My budget is roughly $150. Also im looking to upgrade up to a 4 ram slot board for 16gb ram.
Plugging a HD Radeon 6950 into it also.

Im not stuck on ASUS but as i understand they are a industry leader. Any recommendations are appreciated, im confused.
Im also getting a CM Storm Stryker FULL tower so size isnt a issue, but for the price range it looks like im limited on that also.

More about : upgrading motherboard

a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 11:19:39 PM

you will notice almost ZERO difference once you go above 6-8gb of RAM. its just not needed for games.

also make sure you have a 64bit version of windows as 32bit does not allow for more than ~3-4gb.

I if you have 6 or more gb of RAM i would not bother upgrading it and instead spend more on the video card. get a 7870 or 7950 instead. this will give MUCH bigger improvments in games rather than RAM and mobo.

your current Mobo supports 4gb Modules so you can easily go to 8gb of RAM without changing your mobo.

So if i was you i would consider going up to 8gb of RAM, then spending the rest of the budget on the best video card you can afford. dont bother with the mobo.
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:31:53 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
you will notice almost ZERO difference once you go above 6-8gb of RAM. its just not needed for games.

also make sure you have a 64bit version of windows as 32bit does not allow for more than ~3-4gb.

I if you have 6 or more gb of RAM i would not bother upgrading it and instead spend more on the video card. get a 7870 or 7950 instead. this will give MUCH bigger improvments in games rather than RAM and mobo.

your current Mobo supports 4gb Modules so you can easily go to 8gb of RAM without changing your mobo.

So if i was you i would consider going up to 8gb of RAM, then spending the rest of the budget on the best video card you can afford. dont bother with the mobo.

currently i have the 8gb of ram, and my gfx card does a awsome job. Just my mobo just went on me and I obviously need to replace it. I just said it was for gaming because I dont want another eco board. $200 gfx card so performance was never a issue, just a replacement. Thanks I should have made that clear in OP.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 3:03:14 AM

ah ok if it died then that is another story.

I still would not bother with more than 8gb of RAM. you will not see any great improvement. if you want a good board asus, gigabyte can't really steer you wrong. asrock seem to be producing some good stuff also.

Being that it is socket 1156 you will have a limited range as it has been discontinued and replaced with 1155.

Its probally a great time to upgrade to 1155 if your looking for an excuse to do so.
this will obviously require a CPU change and I would double check you have 1.5v ram also.
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:55:16 PM

HugoStiglitz said:
ah ok if it died then that is another story.

I still would not bother with more than 8gb of RAM. you will not see any great improvement. if you want a good board asus, gigabyte can't really steer you wrong. asrock seem to be producing some good stuff also.

Being that it is socket 1156 you will have a limited range as it has been discontinued and replaced with 1155.

Its probally a great time to upgrade to 1155 if your looking for an excuse to do so.
this will obviously require a CPU change and I would double check you have 1.5v ram also.

Good info there, when this pc was built I didn't know too much about them and therefor it was built for me, not by me :??:  Since then I've learned and I'm not impressed with the parts used :pfff:  I cant afford to do a new cpu atm and since I was running games at max settings no problem I guess the budget parts will have to do :cry:  Like I said I did take a liking to ASUS but their website for the 1156 sockets is somewhat confusing since I haven't learned that much yet, whats the difference in models with M,PRO,V? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/#Intel_Socket_1156 my chipset is H55. USB 3.0 is self explanatory and that I dont need so what about the others? specs seem so similar unless those prefixes mean something else to point it out more.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 9:31:35 PM

The different models within each chipset just changes small features.

For Example the -M will more than likley be for the Micro Atx version of that board. it will have 2 or 4 memory slots, 1 pci-express 16 slot.

The pro could be a full atx board and come with 4 Ram slots, and possibly 2 PCI-Express x16 slots. this is obviously helpfull if you want to add another 6970 later on. could also have onboard RAID, might have better sound could have USB3 when the others dont.

-v could apply to either and would normally stand for onboard video included.

all of these options will perform almost exactly the same (less than 1% diff) as they still use the same chipset as the base for the motherboard.
m
l
!