Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for budget case, $60 or less

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Build
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
February 7, 2012 4:39:44 AM

Hello everyone :hello:  . I plan on starting my first build soon, and the first thing I plan on buying is the tower.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-119-...

This looks like a great case, and fits my budget. I'm wondering if I should just go for this case or does anyone reccomend something else.

Ultimately I am looking for user-friendly (since this is my first build) durable case. If you know of a great case don't hesitate to recommend me it. Thanks!

[I will be buying the HAF case two days form this post so post fast if you want me to buy a different case] [If you have questions ask away]

More about : budget case

a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2012 8:01:22 AM

I own that case and is great. You can put inside everything you want. Great for wire management.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2012 8:40:14 AM

Tried and true . good price to . go for it .
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2012 12:02:01 AM

Quote:
that's a good deal and for more proof, read all the feedback for it on newegg.
I say do it and odds are you'll be very satisfied.
now what's the rest of the unit specs.?


Yeah everyone seems to love this case.

Here is what I plan on putting inside it:

MOBO: Z68 type intel 1155 USB 3.0
CPU: i5 2500K 3000HD
GPU: GeForce GTX 570
I might get this specific card, people are saying it's huge and barely fits in their cases do you think it would fit in the HAF one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: 80Plus bronze certified 700-800Watt (since I will SLI in the future)
RAM: 4GB - 8GB
HDD: 500GB - 1TB


Why are you guys recommending me to buy fans are the ones that come with this case bad or something? I would really prefer not to buy fans since this case comes with some but if the fans don't work or aren't good enough for my build then I might look for another case with better fans or jsut buy those fans.

From case specs:

The Cooler Master HAF 912 features one front and one rear 120mm fans and support another front 120mm (two front fans can be swapped for one 200 mm fan), one side 120/140mm and two top 120mm ( or one top 200mm ) fans for peerless air cooling performance. The HAF 912 also has pre-drilled outlets and retaining holes, and accepts two external radiator 120mm fans for building water cooling system.

So this means it comes with two 120mm fans, and can hold another front 120mm (or one 200mm) and two top 120mm (or one 200mm), plus two external 120mm fans (damn that's a lot of fans it can support). Would the two fans it comes with be enough? (for not doing any overclocking, but when I overclock should I buy more fans)?
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 8, 2012 12:12:48 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
I don't understand what you're trying to point out what does "no mir" mean?

No mail in rebate!
They are a hassle and unnecessary if you can buy the same product elsewhere cheaper.
m
0
l
February 8, 2012 2:14:22 AM

davcon said:
No mail in rebate!
They are a hassle and unnecessary if you can buy the same product elsewhere cheaper.


Sorry I don't even know what mail in rebate is. Or how it works.

So you're saying not having mail in rebate is a hassle because you can get something cheaper that has mail in rebate? I'm confused. Sorry.

@malmental

So those are the top three Z68 type mobos? What is the difference between the three and what do you recommend I get? The $150.00 one looks fancy smanchy do you think I should go for that? Also you've been a lot of help please check out my [FIRST BUILD]Purely Gaming thread where I ask for help on enw build advice [ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335589-31-first-build... ]... nobody has really replied to it and I could use some major help.
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 8, 2012 2:44:03 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
Sorry I don't even know what mail in rebate is. Or how it works.

So you're saying not having mail in rebate is a hassle because you can get something cheaper that has mail in rebate? I'm confused. Sorry.

@malmental

So those are the top three Z68 type mobos? What is the difference between the three and what do you recommend I get? The $150.00 one looks fancy smanchy do you think I should go for that? Also you've been a lot of help please check out my [FIRST BUILD]Purely Gaming thread where I ask for help on enw build advice [ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335589-31-first-build... ]... nobody has really replied to it and I could use some major help.

Dude! items with a mir are a hassle.
COOLER MASTER HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55583&vpn=RC%2D912%2DK...

Fan in case you did want to add a top one.
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52544&vpn=R4%2DLUS%2D0...

Which is cheaper?
m
0
l
February 8, 2012 4:27:59 AM

That fan is $20 on the canadian NCIX (I live near one so could I just go there and get it?) which is a bit pricey just for a fan... would just that one suffice?

So... getting this case tommorow... I wont have a problem fitting everything in will I?
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 8, 2012 5:52:10 AM

Quote:
I have at least 4x120mm fans in my three of my four units.
even if not overclocking I would at least get two more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120 R4-L2R-20AR-R1 120mm Silent operation Red LED
Now: $7.99
$2.99 after mail-in rebate

Dang those are on sale now!!!!! Thanks mal for posting this :love: 
Now to start a cougar vs sickleflow thread....
m
0
l
February 8, 2012 6:17:26 AM

They don't appear to be on sale...

so, davcon, should I avoid things that say "xyz after mail-in rebate" and not buy them?
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 8, 2012 4:27:56 PM

thetechnoobguy said:
That fan is $20 on the canadian NCIX (I live near one so could I just go there and get it?) which is a bit pricey just for a fan... would just that one suffice?

So... getting this case tommorow... I wont have a problem fitting everything in will I?

We had no idea you were Canadian guy!
Coolermaster Haf 912
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55583&vpn=RC...
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/230752/RC-912-KKN1/CO...
Coolermaster Megaflow 200MM Red
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/228326/R4-LUS-07AR-GP...
Just pricematch stuff if you have a local Ncix.
As long as you have a rear/top/and front fan you'll have very good airflow.
The HAF912 ships with one 120mm front intake and a 120mm rear exhaust.
Option of using a 200mm in front intake in lieu of 2 x 120mm.
Option of using a 200mm in top exhaust in lieu of 2x 120mm.
Coolermaster R4-L2R-20 120MM Red LED
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/229778/R4-L2R-20CRAR/...
Some guys with this case go for 2 x 200mm = one front intake and one for top exhaust.
You have a few options.
m
0
l
February 8, 2012 11:28:53 PM

Quote:
no offense to the others especially 'Davcon' for I have respect for him but with that being said...
stick with what I linked for you..

'amuffin' - my pleasure bro..


Thanks for the link(s) but you didn't really help me out explaining what mobo to get. Although that may be off topic it would still really help me out.

As for the 120mm versus the 200mm, if I where to get two 200mm over time, put one on top one in the front, would that be really good cooling? Or one 200mm on top another 120mm in front? Would these fans affect cooling for my CPU at all? Do you think the stock heatsink would suffice? [I don't like the idea of putting thermal paste on a $200+ dollar processor]

Side note: I am getting the HAF 912 at directcanada, which comes to $68 in total for shipping and HST and everything.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, can I install these fans without the need of any other parts? Because I can get these 200mm fans and install them while I wait for the 600 series.
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 12:50:35 AM

Then is there an aftermarket CPU fan that doesn't involve thermal paste that you would recommend?

Well apparently 200mm fans are better because they can spin at low RPM's but still provide excellent cooling.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 1:42:22 AM

Hmm " No good deed / advice goes unpunnished " ' comes to mind for some reason . davcon = patience of saint
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:04:25 AM

rufus_22 said:
Hmm " No good deed / advice goes unpunnished " ' comes to mind for some reason . davcon = patience of saint

Thanks rufus_22 i try!
OP no offence but i don't get you.
You say you can go to a local bricks and mortar NCIX store and buy a fan,yet you order a HAF 912 from another e-tailer.
Me i would just walk-in and pricematch everything on my list = no shipping!
Good luck with your build!
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 3:21:02 AM

I don't know if I can just go there and buy it, I've never even been inside. Do you think I could just go there and get the case without shipping fee?

What do you mean by pricematch?

If I can actually go in the store and get it I'll select you as best answer.
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 3:22:41 AM

Quote:
why are you so scared of thermal paste.?


1. This would be my very first build

2. The idea of putting paste on a $230 processor and glueing a fan thing to it doesn't sit well with me

3. If something went wrong and I had to buy a new processor etc I would be a very depressed person
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 3:34:15 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
I don't know if I can just go there and buy it, I've never even been inside. Do you think I could just go there and get the case without shipping fee?

What do you mean by pricematch?
That fan is $20 on the canadian NCIX (I live near one so could I just go there and get it?) which is a bit pricey just for a fan... would just that one suffice?


If I can actually go in the store and get it I'll select you as best answer.

If you live in Vancouver or Toronto NCIX has physical locations and pricematch instock items from other retailers in Canada.
http://ncix.com/contact/
You walk up to an instore computer and tell the clerk you want to pricematch the item(show him the website link where they sell the product cheaper)
I pricematch everything i can at NCIX and never have any been unapproved.
Canada Computers does the same thing.
Wouldn't worry about pricematching the case.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55583&vpn=RC%2D9...
Fans i would though.
Plus i grab one of these.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Direct
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64385&vpn=RR%2D2...
Easy to install.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 3:47:36 AM

Thermal paste , not so scary . youtube a few applications and you'll be fine . As patrick would say " Its not rocket surgery " go for it .
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 3:50:04 AM

rufus_22 said:
Thermal paste , not so scary . youtube a few applications and you'll be fine . As patrick would say " Its not rocket surgery " go for it .

Patrick who?
Star? lol!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 3:52:06 AM

duh . yah
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:06:50 AM

rufus_22 said:
duh . yah

Who you calling pinhead!
Leedle Leedle Leedle Lee!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:07:45 AM

omg .. s-bob fans . I'm old
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 5:10:23 AM

asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3.
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 5:20:03 AM

Wait hold on so this pricematching thing is basically me finding a deal on a computer part from a certain website (in canada) that's cheaper, and NCIX will give it to me for the same price? So I could use newegg.ca or directcanada.ca? That's awesome. So would I print out a picture of its sale go in their and show them and they will look it up or how would it work?

So I think I'll get one 200mm for the top for sure, and replace the front one with a 200mm. Can someone link me to a front intake 200mm fan?

You sure there isn't an alertnate method to thermal paste? What if I screw up and break the CPU... it's very delicate. I don't think I'll need it anyways I'm not going to be overclocking anything. But if I HAVE to get it I will...
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 5:22:59 AM

davcon said:
Who you calling pinhead!
Leedle Leedle Leedle Lee!




Also, muffin, what are you talking about? Very vague.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 5:48:44 AM

lol . perfect thread for Mr. Starr
m
0
l
July 9, 2012 1:27:26 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
Wait hold on so this pricematching thing is basically me finding a deal on a computer part from a certain website (in canada) that's cheaper, and NCIX will give it to me for the same price? So I could use newegg.ca or directcanada.ca? That's awesome. So would I print out a picture of its sale go in their and show them and they will look it up or how would it work?

So I think I'll get one 200mm for the top for sure, and replace the front one with a 200mm. Can someone link me to a front intake 200mm fan?

You sure there isn't an alertnate method to thermal paste? What if I screw up and break the CPU... it's very delicate. I don't think I'll need it anyways I'm not going to be overclocking anything. But if I HAVE to get it I will...


Wait, I know this is old but are you saying you don't want to use thermal paste, at all? The worst part about putting together a computer is the amount of force it takes to put the arm down on the cpu socket. If you have an intel proc, since it doesn't have the pins on the proc itself, you could throw that thing into a wall and it wouldn't break. To apply thermal paste, all you have to do is put a pea sized dot on the processor and throw on the fan, that's all there is to it. You can't really mess it up. What thermal paste does is it creates a connection between the cpu and the heatsink of the fan so that there are not any microscopic holes preventing heat dissipation.
m
0
l
!