Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading cpu and motherboard issues?

Last response: in Components
February 7, 2012 5:50:24 AM

Hi all, this is my first post on here. I currently have a acer aspire ax3400g. So far, I have upgraded the ram to 8gb and the video card. Now the next step is the cpu. It currently has a Athlon II x2 255 using 65w in a AM3 slot. Now my main concern is whether my motherboard or bios could handle a better cpu. I have searched countless forums/websites on info of the mobo, bios, and chipset with no luck at all. It seems acer has hidden all details about this product. I called service and they say "No upgrades for you!, come back 1 year!". so now im at a loss. will any am3 work in the respective slot or does the bios/mobo restrict this for power reasons and what not? Currently want a phenom II x4 with either 95w or 125w. any help is appreciated.
February 7, 2012 6:38:43 AM

bumping. please help im going to store later today after work.
Score
February 7, 2012 8:16:12 AM

PainfulOrpheus said:
Hi all, this is my first post on here. I currently have a acer aspire ax3400g. So far, I have upgraded the ram to 8gb and the video card. Now the next step is the cpu. It currently has a Athlon II x2 255 using 65w in a AM3 slot. Now my main concern is whether my motherboard or bios could handle a better cpu. I have searched countless forums/websites on info of the mobo, bios, and chipset with no luck at all. It seems acer has hidden all details about this product. I called service and they say "No upgrades for you!, come back 1 year!". so now im at a loss. will any am3 work in the respective slot or does the bios/mobo restrict this for power reasons and what not? Currently want a phenom II x4 with either 95w or 125w. any help is appreciated.

Take the side panel off and see if there is a model number on the motherboard, if i could get a hold of this i would be able to find out if you could drop another processor in.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 9:42:07 AM

alexinnes said:
Take the side panel off and see if there is a model number on the motherboard, if i could get a hold of this i would be able to find out if you could drop another processor in.

or he can download CPU-Z & install it. The CPU-Z will identify the motherboard under the "mainboard" tab.
Score
February 7, 2012 9:44:16 AM

randomkid said:
or he can download CPU-Z & install it. The CPU-Z will identify the motherboard under the "mainboard" tab.

Very true, this will be easier to get the model number. Cheers Randomkid never thought of that :) 
Score
February 7, 2012 6:31:55 PM

Already downloaded cpu-z and no numbers to be seen on the inside. cpuz says its acer aspire x3400g which i know isnt right.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 9:35:09 PM

Its bad. No Driver or BIOS download from Acer for this motherboard.
http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?mode...

This is the problem about OEM Builds. Your upgrade option is very uncertain & limited specially if the manufacturer do not have regular BIOS or Driver upgrade common to other motherboard manufacturers.

Without such upgrades, you are limited by the original BIOS & can only support whatever was already available during its time of release.

Anyway, this only confirmed what you already know that Acer "hide" all the details about your mobo to make a confident decision for upgrade. I say that upgrade can be done but with risk that BIOS will not recognize the new CPU & I do not know what effect it could have in performance if it boots at all. Sorry... I hope there are others out there who have crossed the bridge & can tell you how it is.
February 7, 2012 11:09:52 PM

Well I went to best buy, the only store around me with parts, and they did not have a cpu but i did buy a top of the line gpu. Im going to install it inside a bigger case I have and I guess we will see if the mobo can handle big upgrades from the future. This won't tell me about the cpu upgrade issue i have but it will give me hope once my cpu gets in.
Score
February 11, 2012 3:21:45 AM

Best answer selected by PainfulOrpheus.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 11, 2012 5:37:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!