USB PCI cards with independent hubs/controllers

xj25vm

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I'm looking for a USB PCI card with multiple (2 or 4) USB hubs/controllers. I've managed to find a PCI-express card, but not a PCI card. This would be a card which is capable of full usb bandwidth to each of it's ports simultaneously.

Just a bit of background: I'm working on a Linux CCTV system using webcams - and some of the webcams I use have this firmware bug (feature?) where they request the full usb bandwidth, although they don't need it - as they run in mjpeg mode. They request full usb bandwidth even when running in the lowest resolution mode, and 1fps. My thinking is that if I can get a 4 port usb pci card with 4 independent controllers - the webcams will think that they have full usb bandwidth each - and I should be able to run 4 webcams at the same time. I know the overall real usb bandwidth is not really an issue - as I'm running 4 usb webcams of a different model (without the bug) on the same usb root hub at 640x480, 8fps in mjpeg mode without any problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

xj25vm

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hi goga44,

Thanks for replying. I am in the UK.

As per my original post, I am not after a regular USB PCI card. I need a USB PCI card with independent channels/root hubs for each port. This would give me full USB speed for each USB connector at *the same time*. Normal USB PCI cards (like the one's you've linked to) only have one USB root hub for all ports - so the speed of all ports together (if they are all in use at once) is 480Mbs (theoretical).

An example of what I need is this card on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Express-4-Ports-USB-2-0-card-MOSCHIP-MCS9990-RoHS-/290501110459?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item43a3372abb

Only that I need something with PCI, not PCI-express. USB 2.0 is fine - I don't need USB 3.0

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry man, not sure how to help u, i mean i researched all over about USB PCI cards just to help u out. hopefully after this message ur post goes up and someone more experienced can help u. although what u described sounded very interesting and complex, maybe u just cant get full speeds for every USB u insert on a normal "PCI", i think u need "PCI-E" to do that.

xj25vm

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks goga44. I'm not sure myself such a beast exists for regular PCI. I've been looking for it for quite a while - and even the PCI-e is quite a rarity - but at least it exists. Thanks for taking the time.