Pre-100% lag possible?

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
This is out of pure curiosity, If your cpu is NOT at/not reaching 100% it can't cause any kind of lag or slow down correct?, or can it because of different reasons, like maybe lack of l3 cache?, For example if you had an very old cpu that you magically overclocked up to 5.0ghz somehow and it was as stable as concrete and as cool as stock clocks, and started playing Skyrim, it wouldnt lag would it? just for being old even tho its way past recommended? This probably makes no sense at all, it was kinda hard for me to get my question across with test : / sorry guys

NOTE: im not having this problem, or any problem, its just a question

Solution

If your CPU is never reaching 100%, then the CPU is not the cause of the lag. It is waiting on something else to do its job before more CPU is required.

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Go to the future and get a pile of L9 cache virtually transferable through BIOS update then you won't notice any lags and maybe even get a time-machine internet for browsing any web page of any time. The web is all yours

Why did you bother to answer

Well, lag can be cause by almost anything in a computer that can create a bottleneck.

If you have a slow HDD, you could be lagging on opening app's, moving files, loading game levels, ect.

If you have a slow GPU, you'll be lagging in games.

If you have slow interent, any online game play will lag regardless of how powerful your computer is.

As you can see, cpu not reaching 100% on something doesn't always means it lag-free. ;)

As for using an old cpu on something and it's overclocked, that'll depend on what it is. Although if you try to play an game that can use dual cores, and the old cpu it a single core.... More than likely it wont be powerful enough to run programs such as skyrim. Intel P4 for example would not be a good cpu to chose for playing newer games or to run cpu intensive task.

Hope this answer what your wanting. :hello:

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks for your answer : ), but say everything was the highest spec SSD no HDD 16gb of ram gtx590 1500watt psu all that good stuff and you have this old dual core athlon cpu at like 1.7ghz that magically works with all those specs perfectly and you somehow overclock it flawlessly to 5.0 ghz, obviously no game is going to push 2 cores @ 5.0ghz to 100% so could it still lag at like 50% usage just for being old like an old socket or something?

Well, that's a hard one to answer but in theory, it shouldn't lag. Although because no 2 cpu preform the same @ the same GHz, it's hard to say.

Maybe today's app could easily push a theoretical dual core Athlon at 5GHz to the limit. As for example with P4's vs athlon days, a 2.2GHz Athlon could match or beat a 3.4GHz p4.

Although with an Athlon being slower than what's out today, (I5/7's and AMD FX's cpu able to get near or at 5GHz), any program made for dual cores now maybe able push a 5GHz Athlon to limit.

Well, I wish i could fully answer this one but it not an easy question to answer with the variables of the software and the IPC of the cpu. There always more to it than just the GHz ;)

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

: ) thanks for workin with me on this one, but one more thing to help me sleep at night, say i start experience lag, if im watching system monitors at the time of the lag, and my cpu does not hit 100% ever, i can rule the cpu out as the source of the lag? ( cpu is AMD athlon II x4 640 @3.6ghz )

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

I wouldn't rule the CPU out of the equation. No matter how high your overclock the CPU, there will always be a limit, such as physical threads. Besides an infinitely overclocked CPU would bottle neck anything out today.

If your CPU is never reaching 100%, then the CPU is not the cause of the lag. It is waiting on something else to do its job before more CPU is required.

Solution

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

There we go! that's what i was hoping to hear, thanks guys