Sign in with
Your question

First gaming build, have questions about power and cooling

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 1:10:14 AM

Hello fellow Forum members,

So I am building my first computer and couldn't be more excited. I have already picked out a few of my parts but I still have a few parts to pick up which will happen in about 2-3 weeks. I will be doing plenty of gaming, and would like to just have an all round quick computer to watch movies maybe TV. I don't plan on overclocking to begin with but am planning on it once I read more. I also would like to SLI my graphics cards in the future too. So far this is what I've purchased:

CPU - i5-2500k
Mobo - AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
RAM - 4gb x 2 g.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333
Case - LanCool (Lian Li) Dragonlord K-62

What I'm thinking about getting:

PSU - Rosewill Lightning 800w - i like the cable management and of course the pretty colors, also thought about the Kingwin 850w Lazer. From what I read both are pretty reliable psu's, and I think would be plenty.

VGA - EVGA GTX 560 ti superclocked

SSD - Should I get something like 90G for OS, games? Or I was thinking of a 300G Velociraptor 10k since they are basically the same price.

HDD - Seagate Caviar Black - 1TB or Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200rpm - 1 TB

Cooling - Originally was going to get a Corsair H70 but after reading some forums people have
said the Noctua DH-14 or Silver Arrow. My reservation with this is I would like to keep my box as clutter free as possible, and I like the looks of the builds I've seen with the Corsairs. All I read about the Noctua or Silver Arrow is that they are very effective but huge and take up a lot of space.

I've done a lot of reading, but haven't posted anything until now so any advice would be appreciated. I can't wait to have this up and running before SWTOR comes out!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
November 7, 2011 1:20:20 AM

If you plan on SLI later, you are going to need a psu of at least 900W to be safe. The VGA looks good. For SSD, you probably need <100gb for the OS. For HDD, get whatever you can find for the lowest price but the Spinpoint is nice if you can find it cheap. For cooling it is really up to you. If you want space go with corsair. If you want better efficiency go with the other. Both are good.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:37:32 AM

In order or importance:

1: Don't get a velocirapter.
2: SSD's are highly reccomended. Crucial M4 is the one to get atm.
3:My 32GB SSD has windows, matlab, office2010Pro, visual studio and ~10 more GB of more specialized programs. Toms has a guide to optimize installation size of W7. It knocks off about 12GB.
4: No reason not to get 1600mHz Ram
5: Carry over an old HDD if you can. They are crazy expensive after the floods. Or if you have a physical store in your area, check with them, they may not have raised prices yet.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 1:41:05 AM

etk said:
In order or importance:

3:My 32GB SSD has windows, matlab, office2010Pro, visual studio and ~10 more GB of more specialized programs. Toms has a guide to optimize installation size of W7. It knocks off about 12GB.
5: Carry over an old HDD if you can. They are crazy expensive after the floods. Or if you have a physical store in your area, check with them, they may not have raised prices yet.

Do you think you could post the link for the guide to win7 optimizing. I would be interested in seeing it.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:07:46 AM

etk said:
In order or importance:

Thanks for the advice, why would you not recommend a velociraptor? I've read a lot of builds where they use one of those instead of SSD. Just wanted to know why you don't suggest it.

I know I could have bought 1600 but I got Newegg had the gskill sniper 1333 for super cheap like 30 bucks cheap at one point.

What do you mean after the floods? The computer I currently have is my laptop and a 5 yr old Dell E520, not sure if it's even worth picking apart the 520 since it's so outdated.

Thanks again for the help, would love some cooling suggestions as I haven't heard much yet. Would love to get that SSD optimization link too.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:12:46 AM

In terms of the floods, there has been bad flooding in Thailand that has shut down many hard drive factories. Consequently, supply is very low which is pushing prices through the roof. It sounds like the drives you have may be unuseable so look around on Amazon and other websites to find some deals before they disappear. Amazon will be your best bet. I got a Seagate Barracuda 1 tb last week for $75 which is great but even that deal is now gone. The hdd is the first thing you should purchase and it should be done ASAP.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:46:17 AM

Link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...

Velociraptor's are only slightly faster than a standard 7200RPM hard drive, and cost a ton more. SSD vs HDD is a day/night difference. The only advantage I can think of is that you don't have to pick what goes on the boot drive and what doesn't as is a SSD/HDD combo.
m
l
November 9, 2011 12:33:35 AM

Anyone have any suggestions for cooling? I'm interested in the Corsairs because they save space, but if they don't work well what is an alternative that is better that doesn't take up a lot of space?
m
l
!