Gtx 580 gone bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
hi
i have a gtx580 that i think is going bad. when i play any game on it, it will do fine for some time but then crash.
the larger the load i put on it, quicker it fails.
the crash can be hastened by overvolting/overclocking the card (within very sane limits)
temps stay within limits all times.

the whole PC does not freeze. only the game freezes.

i did it on a fresh win7 x64 install with latest drivers etc.

could it be the PSU that has gone bad?

config:
intel C2Q q6600 @ stock
MSI p35 neo
2gb RAM ddr2

corsair tx750.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
also, after a crash, the card is set at a fixed frequency of 410/820.
loading the card does not increase these clocks. only a restart fixes the clocks.

on crysis 2 dx11, crash comes within a minute. on lesser loads, could play for 15 minutes or so before crash.

There are many possibilities.

1) Since overclocking hastens the failure, I suggest you reset to 772 which is the reference clock. It is possible that your card has a firmware fix available? Check into that.
Cards can be factory overclocked, but those that do not have factory overclocks may not be capable of a stable overclock. Vendors bin their chips so they can charge a premium for overclockable cards. Exactly what card do you have?

2) Is there possibly a beta driver that might address the issue?

3) Under load, a card will draw more power. If your psu is marginal, it could cause a failure. In this case, the corsair psu is a very good one, and I would put it near the boppom of possibilities.

4) 2gb of ram? That is very little these days. If a game has a memory leak, you will see it sooner with 2gb than 4gb. Since the failure happens on multiple games, I don't think that is the reason.

5) What is the temperature of your card? If a card gets too hot, it will shut down to protect itself. Can you verify that the gpu fan is working, and is spinning up under load to provide adequate cooling?

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
just a shot in the dark, could the gpu be demanding more cpu and causing the cpu to kill the process? probably not but....... the fact that it just kills the game and not the whole environment makes this a tricky situation.

Has anything changed since it was working well?
Have you added any programs, hardware, done some maintenance?
It seems most unusual to me to see such a change in such a short time. Possible, but unusual.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Has anything changed since it was working well?
Have you added any programs, hardware, done some maintenance?
It seems most unusual to me to see such a change in such a short time. Possible, but unusual.

no nothing has changed..

I've had this problem before running a gtx 580 and it's normally the driver autocorrecting clock speeds if you're attempting to OC.

it also happens when the card is not OC.

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Do you leave your PC on 24/7? It seems that some people have had good luck fixing their artifacting by simply turning their computer off-not a restart, completely shutting it down. It seems that the cards develop some sort of problem if you leave them on for days at a time. Shutting your PC down seems to "reset" the card and you won't get the issue again unless you leave the computer on for days at a time again. It's a simple "fix" if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.