Extending wireless range

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have a computer in my workshop, about 50 feet in a straight line from the home desktop router. In a straight line the signal would have to pass through a house wall, a mudroom wall and a garage wall, all insulated but none with foil backed insulation. The signal strength is always "very low" and often drops out completely. How can I improve the signal so I can listen to on line content while I work?

Router:
Cisco-Linksys E2000 wireless N router

Home Computer:
AMD 3+ GHz dual core prosessor, 6 GB RAM, Win 7.

Workshop Computer:
3 GHz P4 processor, 2 GB ram, Win XP, Netgear wireless G card

I can hardwire but distance around walls would be about 100+ feet, some of it outside.

I suppose a wireless repeater might work, but that usually works better when you don't have many obstacles, when it's simply a matter of distance.

What you might want to consider is powerline adapters. Variations in home wiring can sometimes mean it doesn't work at all, or very poorly, but if you're a bit lucky, you might get as much as 12mbps w/ 200mbps rated powerline adapters. On the downside, powerline often costs more than wireless.

You might just have try both and see which works best for you.

thendershot

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
you can either do a wireless repeater.. or you can run the wire it might be cheaper.. they make outdoor cat 5 cable.. 100+ feet is not an issue you can have up to 328 feet from switch to pc