ATI Firepro with 3 monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

boss99er

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I have an HP 8740W with Advanced Dock. The dock has two DVI ports. I'm trying to get 2 external monitors up and running through the dock ports. From what I've read, because I have the ATI FirePro (based on Radeon)graphics card, I should be able to do this with Eyefinity. When I open the ATI controller, it only lets me use the laptop display, and 1 external. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!

Solution
The problem with most docks is that they want to work with either the internal or external displays, but not both at the same time. Did you ever try running only the external displays with the built-in display closed (via the DVI connections)?

Keep in mind that you will not be able to daisychain DVI monitors, even with adapters. They are, in effect, still DVI monitors.

I recommend you get 2 adapters (you can always return one or keep as a backup) and give it a shot.

Good luck!

boss99er

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Last question. On my dock, I was unable to run my laptop display, and two external displays via DVI-D. It seemed I could only use the laptop and one external. Will I be able to just buy two adapters, and use BOTH displayports on the dock AND my laptop display.....or is the only way I can run the two externals by daisy chaining them?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The problem with most docks is that they want to work with either the internal or external displays, but not both at the same time. Did you ever try running only the external displays with the built-in display closed (via the DVI connections)?

Keep in mind that you will not be able to daisychain DVI monitors, even with adapters. They are, in effect, still DVI monitors.

I recommend you get 2 adapters (you can always return one or keep as a backup) and give it a shot.

Good luck!

Solution

boss99er

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Sounds good, I have two adapter on the way. No, I never tried shutting the laptop and running on only external. I'll give it a shot this afternoon if I have time. Thanks for your help!

kponder

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

In this configuration, were you able to continue to use the laptop display with 2 external ones? What DP adapters did you get?

Thanks

boss99er

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
We actually just used little cheapo adapters like this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-DisplayPort-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B002BL6B7C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317133884&sr=8-7

And yes, I'm able to plug in two external displays AND my laptop display, but I am using a dock. So, I have my laptop docked and open, with one VGA LCD plugged into one DP, and another VGA LCD plugged into the second DP......for a total of 3 displays. I was actually able to plug another external into the DP on the laptop itself for a total of 4 displays counting the laptop display.

Status
Not open for further replies.