ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 or M5A99X EVO R2.0?

yottabytes

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hi I I am looking at the M5A99X EVO R2.0 and the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and I really dont see many differences other than one having an extra sata port. They are about the same price. If anybody has any input I would be appreciate the help. I just wanna OC the fx-8350 and would like to find out which board is supposed to be better. Or if nothing else just understand better the differences. Thank you.

Ps, i dont care about any other board, these are the only ones that really match my color scheme and budget. Thanks

Solution
I have the 99FX Pro R2.0- it's really identical in most every way to the 99X Evo R2.0, except for the ability to run dual graphics cards at 16x on the FX (8x for dual cards on the Evo). Basically, if you are planning on crossfiring a pair of high-end GPU's, it may benefit you to get the FX Pro. I only went with it over the Evo because the Evo R2.0 wasn't in stock, and there is a big improvement in the power phasing from the first generation to the R2.0 boards. Actually, I would have been far better served by the Evo R2.0, as I have a PCI-E wireless card, and the single slot provided on the FX is blocked by a large GPU, while the Evo has a second such slot available.

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I have the 99FX Pro R2.0- it's really identical in most every way to the 99X Evo R2.0, except for the ability to run dual graphics cards at 16x on the FX (8x for dual cards on the Evo). Basically, if you are planning on crossfiring a pair of high-end GPU's, it may benefit you to get the FX Pro. I only went with it over the Evo because the Evo R2.0 wasn't in stock, and there is a big improvement in the power phasing from the first generation to the R2.0 boards. Actually, I would have been far better served by the Evo R2.0, as I have a PCI-E wireless card, and the single slot provided on the FX is blocked by a large GPU, while the Evo has a second such slot available.

Solution

Strythe

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

I know this discussion is quite old by now, but I'm upgrading and going with the EVO board. It was a tough decision. Just thought I should point out that you can plug a PCIe x1 board into any socket, it just won't fill the slot. I had done so, because of the same GPU issue, with an X-Fi Titanium sound board and it worked perfectly fine.

+1

VenturaBullet

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
So, secondary question; if I want to run, say, 2x R9 280s, in nonX-Fire mode (for running between 6 and 8 monitors) for non-gaming, then the Pro would be better due to the ability to run dual x16 GPUs? If it's just office/java that is required, maybe some streaming sports, would it be safer to stick with the 99FX Pro or the Evo R2.0?

Love A Pit Rescue

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I run the 99FX Pro, and run a pair of Radeon HD6450's and with this motherboard, it makes it really easy to switch between cross fire, expanded desktop and just a single monitor when you need it. I've been very happy with the board.