New gaming build, looking for stability need advice

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 5:16:36 AM

I am looking at the following...

CPU: i5 2500K
MB: Asus P8Z64-v-pro
Mem: 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw-x 1600
Cooler: CM V8
Case: CM 690 II Advanced -- Thinking potentially going with a NZXT Phantom... im a sucker for asthetics
PSU: Thermaltake Tough Power 775W
GPU: (initially 2 x Gigabyte GTX275's from old system) will upgrade (saving) to single ASUS/Gigabyte GTX 570 (sick of SLI causing instability)
HD: 2 x Seagate 1TB SATA 3gbs and Seagate 2TB SATA 6gbs (Salvaged from old system)
Drive: LG Blu-ray writer combo

After living with a very unstable NVidia 790i ultra/Q9650 based system for three years. I’m sick of dealing of constant lock-ups and random shut downs (Note that i have tried everything to fix these problems... at this point I’m pretty sure the system is just haunted by a vengeful spirit :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: )

Basically... has anyone had experience with these components/combinations, any problems and any recommendations that will insure stability... so i can spend more time gaming and less time trouble shooting.
PS: Is a SSD for OS worth the cost…
November 7, 2011 6:08:52 AM

Change motherboard to a Z68 (which is what I think you ment already but just to make sure)

Besides that everything else is good deffinetly have enough room to add another GPU in the future.

SSD: Its really up to you I would say yes others will say no.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:23:47 AM

That particular Thermaltake PSU has been reviewed very well - something that is not true of other Thermaltake PSUs.

Since you mention you're sick of instability, don't install the Asus AI utilities until after you've stress tested and seen the system stable. A fair number of folks have experienced issues that are resolved by uninstalling those utilities, clearing CMOS, and loading BIOS defaults.

You should enjoy this build very mych. Have fun!
m
l
November 7, 2011 7:23:25 AM

U need to check if ur cooler is not blocking ur ram
m
l
!