Upgrade suggestions for 5850 hd.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Over the years Ive lost track of whats what in the video card field and was wondering if there was a 225-250 or below priced video card that would be a noticeable upgrade for my radeon 5850 HD that I have in it now. It performs well enough still but Im going to get crysis 2 soon, battlefield 3 when it comes out and a couple others that are a bit higher end newish games and wondering if I should get a new video card as well and just be done with it.

Pc now has a core i5 2500, 4gb ddr3 ram, 650 corsair psu, 23inch monitor and windows 7.

I know the new 6xxx line is out but I wasnt sure if they were actually a improvement since I seemed to see people saying they were basically rebadges of the 5xxx line and then see others saying they are a big improvement and so on.

Just wondering if I can find something thats a decent improvement while I can still sell my card and get a decent chunk of change for it.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

225-250 dollars and 650watt corsair psu. And going to run at highest res I can while it still being able to run well.

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Can you not read? obviously the 225 means dollars, he has a 650 watt power supply and he has a 23 in monitor, he probably is playing in 1920 x 1200 or 1920 1080.

At anyrate, i would wait for the 7000 series amd gpus to come out and see how they do. The word on the street is that they will be out soon.

As for the the 6000 series amd cards, you would get a small boost in power due to tessellation benefits of those cards but other than that i say wait for the new cards.

new 7K series is supposed to come in Q4 which means Nov or Dec....AMD is not gonna produce Bulldozer and new AMD chips at the same time and the new 7K series might be delayed to the first quarter of 2012 as they have to be comparable with the 28nm cards offered by nVidia and be PCIe 3.0 compatible... so i suggest you just stick with the HD 5850 as long as you don't have an issue with it the HD 6950 won't get you a huge difference

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I should also add, I dont care if its nvidia or ati. Long as its a good card and a improvement over what I have them I dont care. Ive had both brands on and off over the years, I just go with which one is the best at the time.

Just the last few generations of cards Ive owned have been ati brand.

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
From what it sounds like upgrading my 5850 wont be that big of a improvement. So I think Ill just wait till the 7xxx series to come out. I could probablly spend almost as much for a midrange card that will give me a bigger boost than whats out now.

and that would be a good choice

gargus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Anyword when the 7 series is supposed to come out? I saw you say soon but I didnt know if ati had unveiled the cards specs and introduced them yet.

Acording to Wikipedia, Southern Islands (AMD 7K series chips) are going to be Septemper 2011 but the main issue the the stability of the 28nm process, here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Islands_%28GPU_family%29
but i'm expecting to be released at the first quarter of 2012 to be competing with nVidia's ones

You really pissed me of there you litlle kut, you realy think i'm that stupid that when it was in his original thread i wouldn't have seen that ? The info that his post is edited on the bottom might have given you a clue, so who is the stupid one here ? Dickweed. Coming new on this forum and thinking you're mister know it all, Jeez i can't stand stupid, arrogant f . . ks like that.