New PC for BF3, Skyrim, etc

Hi,

My current PC (which I built 3 years ago) is a bit out of date for the latest games, so I am looking at a new build. Whilst I do want to be able to play games like BF3, Skyrim, the new CS etc (on high specs) in 2012, I will also be wanting to use the PC for work, when I'm usually running several applications at any one time. I will say my budget is £1000, but as I need all components, and I am a bit out of loop in terms of the latest hardware needs, I will say I could go up to £1500 if required.

Approximate Purchase Date: November/December

Budget Range: £1000-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, work, image editing, browsing/word processing

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: UK

Parts Preferences: Well I've always used Intel and Nvidia so would probably stick with that, unless people suggest otherwise. I use a 24" LCD monitor and fine with a tower case.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1360x768

Additional Comments: I hate a noisy PC, but I understand there will probably have to be some noise if i want to play BF3 on max settings. Sorry for not providing any components of my own, but as I said, I'm out of the loop and wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about skyrim
  1. i5 2500k and a GTX 560 non-ti should be able to max out at that resolution no problem. Get a MSI twin frozr II for powerful but a quiet GPU design. For the CPU cooler, you could get a really nice quiet CPU cooler. Build around those two components. You should at least get a 500w PSU. PM when you get the build. Making computer builds is kinda about learning what parts you need and such so you're ready for next time.
  2. to tell you the truth, with that budget, you could easily upgrade you're monitor too...even better gaming at high resolutions. i would say full HD
  3. Not trying to be mean but playing BF3 on a 1360X768 monitor might not really offer the full experience. You didn't say the actual size but I'm guessing 17"?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html
    suggests that BF3 is not as sensitive to CPU as it is to GPU power. Take a look and you can see that.
    Intel I5 2500K with at least 4 GB of 1600 RAM and a Nvidia 560Ti GPU is a popular choice. If you think you may overclock or SLI, a GOOD 650 PSU would be in order.
    try to get a Bronze certified.
    Naturally, you require a MoBo with 2 PCIe x 16 slots, 1@X16 and 1@x8 is sufficient.
    Z68 MoBo's can be found for under $200USD with plenty of room to grow.
    HDD prices have almost doubled recently but this one seems popular

Customer Choice Award WinnerSAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Cache: 32MB
    Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
    Average Latency: 4.17ms
    About $140USD
    Maybe you could use a smaller HDD.
    You will probably need another copy of Windows depending on what you're using now.
    Installing a new copy requires some forethought if you want to save your old software.
    MSFT software licensing is pretty much forcing everone to buy a new copy of an OS when building a new computer.
    Case. Using your current case or not? If you'e using a mid-tower case with a bottom mounted PSU, it could be a problem fitting in that second video card.
    1000£ is about $1600USD so you have a nice budget to go on.
    With that budget you can get a nice 23" or 24" monitor for uder $200USD
    Good Luck
  4. Thanks everyone for your replies! Really appreciate it.

And it's a 23" HD monitor, so think I'll be ok with that. I'm running on 1360x768 because my graphics card won't support anything higher!

So far then, I have this:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £170.80
    Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - £152.12
    G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V - £39.54
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - £124.98

That's £487.44 so far.

I will be wanting a new case, as this one has a bottom-mounted PSU (so I assume the new GPU wouldn't fit). Plus I don't like the one I have now anyway!

How about THIS for a mobo? £150.

How about THIS for a PSU? I've used Coolermaster before with no problems, so that was the first thing I thought of to search. £58.

Everyone talks about Antec cases - would they be the ones to look at? Also what should I be looking at in terms of cooling?

Thanks again!
  5. oh and I will be needing an OS (windows 7) so that's about £100 of the budget...
  6. If there's a possibility of SLI/Crossfire don't get this PSU, it has only 2 PCI-E connections.
    If you want a CM PSU look for something like this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/200490-coolermaster-gx-750w-psu-rs750-acaae3-uk
  7. Get 4GB RAM and a GTX 560 Ti which is much better and wait to buy a hard drive. They're x4 their normal prices atm.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Battlefield Skyrim Systems Product