Sign in with
Your question

New PC for BF3, Skyrim, etc

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 8:51:34 AM

Hi,

My current PC (which I built 3 years ago) is a bit out of date for the latest games, so I am looking at a new build. Whilst I do want to be able to play games like BF3, Skyrim, the new CS etc (on high specs) in 2012, I will also be wanting to use the PC for work, when I'm usually running several applications at any one time. I will say my budget is £1000, but as I need all components, and I am a bit out of loop in terms of the latest hardware needs, I will say I could go up to £1500 if required.

Approximate Purchase Date: November/December

Budget Range: £1000-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, work, image editing, browsing/word processing

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: UK

Parts Preferences: Well I've always used Intel and Nvidia so would probably stick with that, unless people suggest otherwise. I use a 24" LCD monitor and fine with a tower case.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1360x768

Additional Comments: I hate a noisy PC, but I understand there will probably have to be some noise if i want to play BF3 on max settings. Sorry for not providing any components of my own, but as I said, I'm out of the loop and wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you.

More about : bf3 skyrim

November 7, 2011 9:30:32 AM

i5 2500k and a GTX 560 non-ti should be able to max out at that resolution no problem. Get a MSI twin frozr II for powerful but a quiet GPU design. For the CPU cooler, you could get a really nice quiet CPU cooler. Build around those two components. You should at least get a 500w PSU. PM when you get the build. Making computer builds is kinda about learning what parts you need and such so you're ready for next time.
November 7, 2011 9:58:37 AM

to tell you the truth, with that budget, you could easily upgrade you're monitor too...even better gaming at high resolutions. i would say full HD
Related resources
November 7, 2011 10:39:15 AM

Not trying to be mean but playing BF3 on a 1360X768 monitor might not really offer the full experience. You didn't say the actual size but I'm guessing 17"?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
suggests that BF3 is not as sensitive to CPU as it is to GPU power. Take a look and you can see that.
Intel I5 2500K with at least 4 GB of 1600 RAM and a Nvidia 560Ti GPU is a popular choice. If you think you may overclock or SLI, a GOOD 650 PSU would be in order.
try to get a Bronze certified.
Naturally, you require a MoBo with 2 PCIe x 16 slots, 1@X16 and 1@x8 is sufficient.
Z68 MoBo's can be found for under $200USD with plenty of room to grow.
HDD prices have almost doubled recently but this one seems popular

Customer Choice Award WinnerSAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cache: 32MB
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Average Latency: 4.17ms
About $140USD
Maybe you could use a smaller HDD.
You will probably need another copy of Windows depending on what you're using now.
Installing a new copy requires some forethought if you want to save your old software.
MSFT software licensing is pretty much forcing everone to buy a new copy of an OS when building a new computer.
Case. Using your current case or not? If you'e using a mid-tower case with a bottom mounted PSU, it could be a problem fitting in that second video card.
1000£ is about $1600USD so you have a nice budget to go on.
With that budget you can get a nice 23" or 24" monitor for uder $200USD
Good Luck
November 7, 2011 11:22:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies! Really appreciate it.

And it's a 23" HD monitor, so think I'll be ok with that. I'm running on 1360x768 because my graphics card won't support anything higher!

So far then, I have this:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £170.80
Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - £152.12
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V - £39.54
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - £124.98

That's £487.44 so far.

I will be wanting a new case, as this one has a bottom-mounted PSU (so I assume the new GPU wouldn't fit). Plus I don't like the one I have now anyway!

How about THIS for a mobo? £150.

How about THIS for a PSU? I've used Coolermaster before with no problems, so that was the first thing I thought of to search. £58.

Everyone talks about Antec cases - would they be the ones to look at? Also what should I be looking at in terms of cooling?

Thanks again!
November 7, 2011 11:30:06 AM

oh and I will be needing an OS (windows 7) so that's about £100 of the budget...
November 7, 2011 10:53:57 PM

Get 4GB RAM and a GTX 560 Ti which is much better and wait to buy a hard drive. They're x4 their normal prices atm.
!