Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz 965 BE Heating.

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 5:54:53 PM

It just reached 70 right now while playing football manager, i started checking the temp because i heard an odd noise from inside the CPU, i closed the PC for a while and cleaned it up with a blower, the noise is gone but checking the tempreture it got to 74 the highest with FM2012 running is this normal or is something wrong?
February 7, 2012 6:21:12 PM

Something is definitely wrong. temps should not exceed 60C on phenom ii.
I assume you are using a stock cooler, check the contact and the fan, reapplying thermal compound should solve the problem. If the fan isn't running as it should you can buy a replacement fan, but you'd be better off getting a $20 cooler master 212+
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:31:15 PM

Excuse my stupideness, i installed a program called advanced system care and it has something that enhance gaming performance and when u start it it changes your power settings to something called "Gaming" in the power option and it greatly increase the temp, i set it back to balanced and i have the game running with a temp of 40-50 now.
Related resources
February 7, 2012 6:38:20 PM

That program is probably overclocking you cpu and i almost guarantee it's an unsafe amount of voltage it was putting through your cpu on top of bad temps. if you plan to use that program still then buy an aftermarket hsf like i mentioned. Also overclock manually, you'll eventually destroy your cpu with most auto OC programs.
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:40:45 PM

Do you recommend any other programs that clean up system and tune it up without overclocking my CPU then?
February 7, 2012 7:08:25 PM

To be honest i've never had the need of cleaners or tune up programs, i think avg includes something that cleans up your computer in their free software.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2012 3:45:16 PM

Ok, after uninstalling this program i was playing Battlefield 3 and the temp just got to 80, that's the peak i am now worried

This is showing the idle and peak temps and the speed of the fans, hope it can help.
February 14, 2012 10:55:13 PM

I see your problem, sorry for not replying sooner. Your vcore is WAY too high. It shows 1.60v
Try 1.3 or 1.35. Somewhere between there should be your stable voltage. you may be able to lower it below 1.3v
Your voltages in general are way off. Either you have a bad PSU or bad board readings.
February 15, 2012 1:44:06 AM

rvg90 said:
It just reached 70 right now while playing football manager, i started checking the temp because i heard an odd noise from inside the CPU, i closed the PC for a while and cleaned it up with a blower, the noise is gone but checking the tempreture it got to 74 the highest with FM2012 running is this normal or is something wrong?

As someone who has run into this problem quite often servicing machines it is usually one of TWO causes. 1.-Your CPU paste has become useless, it happens most often with cheap paste where it can become this crumbly dry powerdery gunk that simply doesn't transfer heat well, so get some arctic silver and see if it clears it up, or 2.-the HSF frankly isn't able to transfer the heat. it could be not enough airflow, bad HSF or simply too weak for the environment.

The one pretty much sure fire cure for heat I've found (short of liquid cooling of course) is to get one of the "cheap but good" heatsinks along with the above arctic silver. The ones i'd recommend you look at are the Hyper 212 and the hyper N520, both have excellent cooling with copper heatpipe bases and are VERY affordable. I have the hyper N520 on my own PC which is in a mATX case so i know they'll fit and now i'm running at room temp when idle on my AMD X6 and with Prime95 (a test that hammers CPUs) running full blast for over an hour the highest i can get the CPU is 108f. Currently my apt is 73f and that's what the chip is at, really not bad for a $30 cooler. i hope this helps.
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 3:59:52 PM

omega21xx said:
I see your problem, sorry for not replying sooner. Your vcore is WAY too high. It shows 1.60v
Try 1.3 or 1.35. Somewhere between there should be your stable voltage. you may be able to lower it below 1.3v
Your voltages in general are way off. Either you have a bad PSU or bad board readings.

How do i do that? and are you sure it's not dangerous to play with the voltage?
February 15, 2012 8:11:44 PM

rvg90 said:
How do i do that? and are you sure it's not dangerous to play with the voltage?

Lowering the voltage won't ever hurt anything, right now your voltage is beyond what is safe. At the 1.6v it is at on the cpu, i'm surprised your chip hasn't fried while being at those temps.

List your specs such as:
Mobo - The screen shot shows a crosshair III? Is that what you have?
CPU -phenom ii 965
Ram
PSU
GPU

If you have a motherboard able to change voltage i'll guide you through how to change it. I need to know the motherboard and power supply mainly.

when you turn on your pc, enter your bios setup and go to the overclocking, cpu, or voltage tab (different depending on the motherboard) after in there take a screen shot of the voltages you are running everything at so i can advise changes.
February 15, 2012 9:43:20 PM

It's not dangerous to change the voltages that's how you overclock it, also I'm overclocked at 4. HOLYSHIT I just realized I installed a new mobo like a week ago and I forgot to overclock it.... but anyways my 965 be was at about 1.24-1.28 v when I was overclocked at 4.2 and never reaches about 31-38 Celsius with a hyper 212+
February 15, 2012 9:52:52 PM

fxdoggy said:
It's not dangerous to change the voltages that's how you overclock it, also I'm overclocked at 4. HOLYSHIT I just realized I installed a new mobo like a week ago and I forgot to overclock it.... but anyways my 965 be was at about 1.24-1.28 v when I was overclocked at 4.2 and never reaches about 31-38 Celsius with a hyper 212+

It's dangerous when you're at 1.6 and the limit I would ever do on these chips is 1.5 (and that's for benching)
Most people make sure they don't go over 1.425 for 24/7 OC
Luckily fxdog you have a special chip apparently. Most people's voltage is higher at those clocks.
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 8:40:28 AM

omega21xx said:
Lowering the voltage won't ever hurt anything, right now your voltage is beyond what is safe. At the 1.6v it is at on the cpu, i'm surprised your chip hasn't fried while being at those temps.

List your specs such as:
Mobo - The screen shot shows a crosshair III? Is that what you have?
CPU -phenom ii 965
Ram
PSU
GPU

If you have a motherboard able to change voltage i'll guide you through how to change it. I need to know the motherboard and power supply mainly.

when you turn on your pc, enter your bios setup and go to the overclocking, cpu, or voltage tab (different depending on the motherboard) after in there take a screen shot of the voltages you are running everything at so i can advise changes.

Yes that's my motherboard

Ram - 4gb
GPU - ATI Radeon 5770 Series HD

PSU:

Voltages:
February 16, 2012 5:38:28 PM

rvg90 said:
Yes that's my motherboard

Ram - 4gb
GPU - ATI Radeon 5770 Series HD

PSU:
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/Ashrafoni/DSC00116.jpg

Voltages:
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/Ashrafoni/DSC00117.jpg

Ok, so your voltages seem to be mostly in check in bios, you have some really strange board readings in windows.
The CPU vdda seems off to mean as i never messed with it, but it may be a high, the cpu vcore can be lowered to 1.3 at stock i'm sure, that will make your chip much more power and heat friendly, just test with prime after to make sure it's a stable undervolt, if not touch it up a step until you no longer get errors. You won't damage anything by undervolting so you don't need to worry about that.
The ram voltage is a little high for stock, whats your ram's rated voltage and timings? You should set ram to what it's rated for unless you plan to overclock.
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 9:14:50 PM

omega21xx said:
Ok, so your voltages seem to be mostly in check in bios, you have some really strange board readings in windows.
The CPU vdda seems off to mean as i never messed with it, but it may be a high, the cpu vcore can be lowered to 1.3 at stock i'm sure, that will make your chip much more power and heat friendly, just test with prime after to make sure it's a stable undervolt, if not touch it up a step until you no longer get errors. You won't damage anything by undervolting so you don't need to worry about that.
The ram voltage is a little high for stock, whats your ram's rated voltage and timings? You should set ram to what it's rated for unless you plan to overclock.

I don't know what is vcore? do you mean vdda voltage? and how do i find out my ram's rated voltage and timings?
February 16, 2012 9:21:39 PM

The one that says CPU voltage. Turn it down, you are under voltage monitor you may need to check under CPU or overclocking.
On your RAM there should be a sticker that has its rated voltage and timing.
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 10:04:16 PM

Ok i've checked there is no sticker on my ram that says what the rated voltage and timing. and CPU voltage you want me to lower it under 1.3? what should i set it to?
February 16, 2012 10:11:40 PM

rvg90 said:
Ok i've checked there is no sticker on my ram that says what the rated voltage and timing. and CPU voltage you want me to lower it under 1.3? what should i set it to?

I think you should set it to 1.3, if you don't run into the 60C's and don't have errors/crash in prime then you can try to drop it more if you want.
Could you find/know a link/name/model# for the ram?
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2012 10:18:03 PM

It looks exaxctly like this one.

And sorry for asking again but i don't want to mess anything up, you want me to lower the CPU Voltage from 1.37 to 1.30? i checked all the tabs in the bios and that's the only tab that has the CPU Voltage, can't find CPU or Overclocking under the power tab.
February 16, 2012 11:52:41 PM

rvg90 said:
It looks exaxctly like this one.
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/767/kingston_hyperx_modules.jpg

And sorry for asking again but i don't want to mess anything up, you want me to lower the CPU Voltage from 1.37 to 1.30? i checked all the tabs in the bios and that's the only tab that has the CPU Voltage, can't find CPU or Overclocking under the power tab.

It won't be under the power tab, it will be under a cpu configuration (or similar) tab, from there you should find you OC, voltage, and other settings. Yes, lowering it will not hurt anything.

Is there any sort of sticker on your ram? I can't know for sure if that's your ram as they make many different speeds of that ram.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 9:26:24 AM

There
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 4:34:36 PM

CPU Voltage was set to automatic so i set it back to 1.3, now i am gonna launch my heaviest game and check what will be the max temp.
February 17, 2012 4:50:09 PM

Alright. Might want to check prime 95 too just to make sure your max temps are low enough.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 4:59:52 PM

Lowest temp: 36c
Highest temp: 64c

And what do you mean by checking prime 95?

EDIT: i downloaded a program called prime95 it took 100% cpu usage and max temp was 73.
February 17, 2012 5:18:43 PM

Ouch, you definitely need to reseat your heat sink and fan. May need a new cooler as 70 is way to high.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 9:03:11 PM

Shouldn't i try to lower the cpu voltage a bit more?
February 17, 2012 9:20:56 PM

Lowering the voltage helps with temps, but it won't bring it down much more, if you're hitting 70 something you really need to reseat the heatsink or buy a new one.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 9:35:12 PM

what do you mean with reseat it?
February 17, 2012 9:49:55 PM

The heatsink on the CPU, its not getting good contact with the CPU. There is either too much thermal paste or too little. If you don't have thermal paste you will need to buy some. Otherwise, you can just buy a new much better heatsink that comes with thermal paste and will cool better and is quiet for about $20
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 10:07:09 PM

Any heatsinks you recommend for my processor? i live in Egypt so i am not sure how will my processor stand 40+ temp summer lol, but i had this machine for 2 years now and i never had this problem.
February 17, 2012 10:18:03 PM

Cooler master 212+ or cooler master EVO. They are cheap and pretty effective. If its too much as i know some things are a little inflated on price in Egypt for computers, there is frio that is a bit smaller and cheaper. Doesn't cool as well as the cooler master ones but its still worlds better than the stock heatsink and fan.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 10:49:05 PM

Yea it's probably gonna be around 150-200 egyptian pound if i even find it, but i think paying that for a heatsink is better than having to pay for a whole new processor if i get it fried lol.
February 17, 2012 11:04:36 PM

Exactly. I always use an aftermarket cooler as noise on the stock fan can get pretty bad since it runs on high almost all the time since it can't keep the CPU cool. Lol
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:42:53 PM

omega21xx said:
Exactly. I always use an aftermarket cooler as noise on the stock fan can get pretty bad since it runs on high almost all the time since it can't keep the CPU cool. Lol

Thing is i had complaints last year because i couldn't stand the noise when playing games in the summer, temp here in egypt sometimes gets to 45 but they told me on AMD forums that the cooler master is a good option but it's better to go with the default one as it's pretty strong.
February 18, 2012 12:35:13 AM

rvg90 said:
Thing is i had complaints last year because i couldn't stand the noise when playing games in the summer, temp here in egypt sometimes gets to 45 but they told me on AMD forums that the cooler master is a good option but it's better to go with the default one as it's pretty strong.

Amd made one ok stock cooler, but that just means it was good enough to not worry about temps at stock with lots of noise. With the temps you have now, I can't see using anything but a decent aftermarket cooler. In my room its about 30c (too hot for me but my gf complains its cold) and my max temp on phenom ii with a corsair a70 (little better than cm 212+ but only worth it when on sale as it usually goes for 40) was 42 under prime95 when i overclocked to the max ny chip could handle (above 1.5 for benching) I got max temps of 54. So you'll do great with a cm 212 when you can get one.
February 18, 2012 12:42:41 PM

It will work for your CPU, I would check how much space you have in your case for the cooler, some cases could be too small for the cooler and keep you from closing the side door on the case.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 12:48:44 PM

Btw does it mean anything that the stock fan is still running at 3.2k RPM all the time? i mean maybe the problem isn't the fan?

And btw on speedfan it still says vcore voltage is 1.6, i've no clue how to lower that.
February 19, 2012 5:14:37 PM

rvg90 said:
Btw does it mean anything that the stock fan is still running at 3.2k RPM all the time? i mean maybe the problem isn't the fan?

And btw on speedfan it still says vcore voltage is 1.6, i've no clue how to lower that.

Yeah, the fan is doing its part. But with your ambient temps you'll have a hard time cooling with a stock fan when it becomes summer. If I remember correctly, your fan is working as hard as it can at 3.2k and it still can't keep up. That's because of ambient temps and that the stock fan is usually trash barely able to keep up.

As for your board, it sounds like its giving you bad readings through the board when using software. Try hardware monitor. Worst comes to worst you have a bad voltage regulator and need to replace your motherboard but I'm not sure if you can or not still, you may be able to take up warranty on it if it comes to that.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 8:10:03 PM

February 19, 2012 8:24:00 PM

Hardware monitor isn't giving you a voltage for your CPU at all. Guess you can just ignore it as you BIOS seems to be reading voltages accurately. Now you just need a new cooler since that one won't be cutting it when it starts to get hotter later this year.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 8:32:19 PM

omega21xx said:
Hardware monitor isn't giving you a voltage for your CPU at all. Guess you can just ignore it as you BIOS seems to be reading voltages accurately. Now you just need a new cooler since that one won't be cutting it when it starts to get hotter later this year.

My temps never get over 65 when playing the heaviest game, it only pass 70 when i use something like prime98 i could leave it like that till the summer it won't hurt right?
February 19, 2012 8:39:11 PM

I would suggest doing it as soon as possible assuming you game for a few hours at a time.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 8:42:46 PM

I have a question that might be a bit stupid, is the fan that's located in the back of the case under the power supply, is it supposed to pull air in or push air outside the case?
February 19, 2012 8:56:23 PM

If you are talking about a fan that's part of the power supply, it pulls in cold air to cool the psu and exhausts some of it out the back, now if this is a fan on the case that all depends, if its on the bottom of the case it should be an intake, top and back fans are usually exhaust as heat rises.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 9:05:42 PM

omega21xx said:
If you are talking about a fan that's part of the power supply, it pulls in cold air to cool the psu and exhausts some of it out the back, now if this is a fan on the case that all depends, if its on the bottom of the case it should be an intake, top and back fans are usually exhaust as heat rises.

I got 3 fans in the case, 1 in the power supply, 1 on the processor and another on the back of the case and i am talking about the last one. there is 1 screenie of what i am talking about:

Shouldn't there be at least 1 fan taking the heat outside of the case?
February 19, 2012 9:29:04 PM

Yes, that fan to the left on the back of the case should be an exhaust and the power supply one can be ignored. Same with the CPU fan. You don't have an intake fan for cool air it seems.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 9:36:25 PM

Yea the left on the back is taking air in and nothing is taking it out.

Also can the position of the case affect it?

That's how i put my case..
!