Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Core 2 Duo

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:01:46 PM

I have a Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz processor on a almost 6 y/o computer that I'm looking to upgrade as a means to wait for the new Ivy Bridge processors (hopefully iMacs have them...). Anyways. I'm looking at a 3.0 GHz core 2 duo replacement (used via eBay), but I was wondering if the socket input matches, I think its 775, is all I have to do is replace it and thats it? Or do I have to do anything with the Bios of my motherboard or upgrade any Drivers?

If the community could let me know if I'm looking at this too simply, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking I just need to buy a better version of the same socketed processor, replace it and that's it.

Am I wrong?

More about : upgrading core duo

a c 79 à CPUs
February 7, 2012 6:34:30 PM

it might be that simple, we need to know Mobo, or you need the mobo's compatible list, and check if it is on it.
when you talk about waiting for IVB its only about 4 weeks away, you realise that don't you. Or are you waiting for ivb equipped macs?
m
l
February 7, 2012 6:48:02 PM

I'm waiting for the new iMac's to be announced before I make my purchasing decision... If they don't have ivb, I probably will end up building a new computer from the ground up. I'll try to post my Mobo when I get home to it.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 6:55:39 PM

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

That's the mobo I'm working with
m
l
February 7, 2012 6:59:33 PM

If you want a mac with ivybridge then i would recommend you build a hackintosh pc with ivy when they comes out, far far cheaper than a mac and far far better performance
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 7, 2012 7:16:09 PM

Gigabyte will have a processor list on their website attached to that board, check that against your bios version (use cpu-z to check that). And you 'll see whether it is a drop in replacement. It probably is, but it depends on precisely what processor you are looking at.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2012 7:41:11 PM

to be honest. i just had a look on ebay and for an e7600 (3ghz core 2 duo) you are looking a £60

is it an e2160 you have?

if i remember right though people easily got 3ghz+ on air with that cpu

m
l
February 7, 2012 8:02:00 PM

shanky887614 said:
to be honest. i just had a look on ebay and for an e7600 (3ghz core 2 duo) you are looking a £60

is it an e2160 you have?

if i remember right though people easily got 3ghz+ on air with that cpu

Surely your not serious?

The clock speed isnt all that effects how good a cpu is.

I had a Pentium 4 running at 4.6 ghz, does that mean its better than an i7 at 3.4? No of course it doesnt
m
l
!