Upgrading Core 2 Duo

gilmourfan26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have a Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz processor on a almost 6 y/o computer that I'm looking to upgrade as a means to wait for the new Ivy Bridge processors (hopefully iMacs have them...). Anyways. I'm looking at a 3.0 GHz core 2 duo replacement (used via eBay), but I was wondering if the socket input matches, I think its 775, is all I have to do is replace it and thats it? Or do I have to do anything with the Bios of my motherboard or upgrade any Drivers?

If the community could let me know if I'm looking at this too simply, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking I just need to buy a better version of the same socketed processor, replace it and that's it.

Am I wrong?

gilmourfan26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I'm waiting for the new iMac's to be announced before I make my purchasing decision... If they don't have ivb, I probably will end up building a new computer from the ground up. I'll try to post my Mobo when I get home to it.

Gigabyte will have a processor list on their website attached to that board, check that against your bios version (use cpu-z to check that). And you 'll see whether it is a drop in replacement. It probably is, but it depends on precisely what processor you are looking at.

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Surely your not serious?

The clock speed isnt all that effects how good a cpu is.

I had a Pentium 4 running at 4.6 ghz, does that mean its better than an i7 at 3.4? No of course it doesnt