I have a Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz processor on a almost 6 y/o computer that I'm looking to upgrade as a means to wait for the new Ivy Bridge processors (hopefully iMacs have them...). Anyways. I'm looking at a 3.0 GHz core 2 duo replacement (used via eBay), but I was wondering if the socket input matches, I think its 775, is all I have to do is replace it and thats it? Or do I have to do anything with the Bios of my motherboard or upgrade any Drivers?
If the community could let me know if I'm looking at this too simply, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking I just need to buy a better version of the same socketed processor, replace it and that's it.
it might be that simple, we need to know Mobo, or you need the mobo's compatible list, and check if it is on it.
when you talk about waiting for IVB its only about 4 weeks away, you realise that don't you. Or are you waiting for ivb equipped macs?
I'm waiting for the new iMac's to be announced before I make my purchasing decision... If they don't have ivb, I probably will end up building a new computer from the ground up. I'll try to post my Mobo when I get home to it.
Gigabyte will have a processor list on their website attached to that board, check that against your bios version (use cpu-z to check that). And you 'll see whether it is a drop in replacement. It probably is, but it depends on precisely what processor you are looking at.