Sign in with
Your question
Closed

W7, Yes, No, Maybe?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 17, 2009 2:34:22 AM

I recently built an I7 box, and I am running vista on it. The system runs beautifully, and I have no real complaints (about performance, some of the security features are annoying). I have a copy of W7RC, but I am debating on whether or not, and if so how, to install it. I am curious if I should run it dual boot, update, or a fresh install, and also wondering if there are any hardware conflicts or other issues. If Dual boot is a good option, I am running a 4x1tb raid 5 array, w/ a 250 GB main partition and a secondary partition accounting for the rest of the space. Would I need to use Partition magic to set up a 3rd partition?

My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

Intel Core I7 920 (modestly overclocked, mostly because I haven't at any point felt I needed more processing power, and partially because I just haven't gotten around to anything more serious).

3x2GB Gskill DDR3 1600 ( i think, I cant remember, and I am not at home)

4x1 TB WD Caviar Black in Raid 5

2x Sapphire Radeon 4870HD 1GB

BluRay

Any advice appricited

More about : question

May 17, 2009 9:28:06 PM

I'm running Win7rc on my newly built i7 and I love it. Having said that, it does have some minor glitches and, if you have another OS that works for you, why fix something that ain't broke ?
Score
May 18, 2009 1:06:39 AM

joedhiggins said:
I recently built an I7 box, and I am running vista on it. The system runs beautifully, and I have no real complaints (about performance, some of the security features are annoying). I have a copy of W7RC, but I am debating on whether or not, and if so how, to install it. I am curious if I should run it dual boot, update, or a fresh install, and also wondering if there are any hardware conflicts or other issues. If Dual boot is a good option, I am running a 4x1tb raid 5 array, w/ a 250 GB main partition and a secondary partition accounting for the rest of the space. Would I need to use Partition magic to set up a 3rd partition?

My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

Intel Core I7 920 (modestly overclocked, mostly because I haven't at any point felt I needed more processing power, and partially because I just haven't gotten around to anything more serious).

3x2GB Gskill DDR3 1600 ( i think, I cant remember, and I am not at home)

4x1 TB WD Caviar Black in Raid 5

2x Sapphire Radeon 4870HD 1GB

BluRay

Any advice appricited

Why doing it complicated when it ca be done simply..

Go to www.virtualbox.org and download virtualbox. Install it, then follow the instruction to create a virtual computer to run W7. You'll be able to test it simply without messing with partition and dual boot.. I did it and it run beautifully.
Score
Related resources
June 8, 2009 3:23:06 PM

Agreed; if your Vista computer is "running beautifully", then why screw with it? That said, I gave up the other night trying to find XP drivers for my new laptop and installed Win7 64-Bit. Everything (so far) works.
Score
June 8, 2009 4:37:13 PM

My first beta was 7068, I knew then there was no going back. Win7 is the first beta I ever ran as a primary OS.
Score
June 8, 2009 4:47:58 PM

I have had zero issues with Windows 7 so far, and it has been the main OS on several of my computers at home since the RC went public in early May. I would highly recommend installing it to anyone. Granted, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here, but Windows 7 is really a great experience.
Score
!