Sign in with
Your question

How to improve my chances at getting re-employed in it field

Last response: in Work & Education
May 2, 2011 8:21:07 PM

I have worked previously in the IT field but was laid off due to the economy and the company mainly be an oilfield type business. I have since gone on several interviews and matched the criteria to the T. And yet I never receive a call back.

I have 1.5 years experience in a school environment, and 1 year and change for this last company.

I have been working on computers for family and friends since high school. I don't have any certifications and I did not graduate college (completed 2 semesters). Been having to work full time to afford all my credit card bills. Got into a wreck when i was younger and jacked my rates so high its ridiculous (even more so than the standard Louisiana rate).

I go to the interview dressed properly (collared shirt tucked in, khakis, dress shoes, etc), clean shaven, and i even show up at least 30 minutes early. I am confident and always speak properly and respectfully.

Could it be that I have had various other jobs besides the IT ones? I list them on my resume because they ask for them all regardless on the application. Could it be my resume that's causing this? (can post a text version of mine if that would help) Grant it I know the market is flooded around here for the IT field. But I can't help but think that its something I am doing/saying, or not saying/doing.

And ideas or tips?

Thanks a bunch
May 3, 2011 3:18:30 PM

29 views no comments? Am I that helpless? lol
May 3, 2011 4:15:33 PM

I'm assuming you're still rather young. I would say getting some type of degree or at least certification would help your case. I mean right now you have pretty much nothing on your resume besides work experience. Smaller businesses might be willing to believe that you know your stuff from working with it, but bigger companies will want to see some type of official backing behind your knowledge.

I'm not sure if you've read any interviewing books, (if you haven't I strongly recommend that you do) but 3-5 interviews is not a lot, especially today, so getting discouraged so soon isn't the way to go. If you have no idea about the other candidates etc it's hard to say why they haven't called you back, but a good tip is, at the end of the interview ask them when they expect to make a decision, and if they give you a date, ask them if YOU can call them back to find out. And if the day comes a week later, call them, even if they say no, at least you could ask why (they don't have to tell you but they might)

Try looking for work through friends and family. A personal acquaintance always goes a long way into getting you through the HR department and even further.

Looking for a job is a stressful and often unsatisfying task, but as people say, you get what you sow.
Related resources
May 3, 2011 4:53:16 PM

AntiZig said:
I'm assuming you're still rather young. I would say getting some type of degree or at least certification would help your case. I mean right now you have pretty much nothing on your resume besides work experience. Smaller businesses might be willing to believe that you know your stuff from working with it, but bigger companies will want to see some type of official backing behind your knowledge.

I'm not sure if you've read any interviewing books, (if you haven't I strongly recommend that you do) but 3-5 interviews is not a lot, especially today, so getting discouraged so soon isn't the way to go. If you have no idea about the other candidates etc it's hard to say why they haven't called you back, but a good tip is, at the end of the interview ask them when they expect to make a decision, and if they give you a date, ask them if YOU can call them back to find out. And if the day comes a week later, call them, even if they say no, at least you could ask why (they don't have to tell you but they might)

Try looking for work through friends and family. A personal acquaintance always goes a long way into getting you through the HR department and even further.

Looking for a job is a stressful and often unsatisfying task, but as people say, you get what you sow.

I'm turning 26 next month. I have considered schooling but having to work full time to pay 1k a month in bills is rough and i can only imagine with schooling on-top of it. I guess I need to study and get my A+ even tho most people say it doesn't matter since they ask outdated info on like IRQs, etc.

I have not read any of those books. Are there some you can recommend specifically?

My parents and friends of the family have asked everyone they know (which is a lot of people) and nothing has come up thus far. And its been almost 2 years since my last IT job been having to take other jobs just to survive.

Right now I am doing a trial run with a company so they can see how I work. Hopefully this comes thru but until it does I am still on the look out and sending resumes out every other day

Thanks
May 4, 2011 11:10:00 PM

I'd say 30 minutes early to an interview is waaay too early. Try 15 or 10. But I doubt this is the reason for your troubles!

AntiZig is absolutely right. You should absolutely find out the reason that the company did not hire you by explicitly asking them when they get in contact with you. If they're honest it will help you for future interviews.

Have you considered doing some self employed IT work on the side? If you can manage your time and still keep your main job this could work for you.
May 5, 2011 6:21:02 AM

I think that, in your resume, you can just list some work experience that relates to the job position you are looking for..
May 5, 2011 6:50:48 PM

Consider talking to a "body shop" like Tek Systems. Any work they may have could be rather lowly, but it IS work, and it's a foot in the door to possible temp-to-perm opportunities.
May 5, 2011 8:17:01 PM

I would write out an email / letter to the managers you were interviewed by and ask them for their honest opinion and where you might need work. Most won't have time to reply, but if you craft your letter honestly and specifically, those who do have time may just answer and you will be more informed.

And keep in mind, the IT community is crowed. There are lots of people who probably have more then the recommended experience applying for the same job.
!