Spying on posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyh

Splendid
Lol no sorry.

Calm down gents, I don't mean actual spying like that lol.

What I mean is...

I used to run a small website, which had a fairly active forum. I made it myself using Phpbb or something..I cant remember the details it was quite a long time ago.

Anyway, had I wanted to I could have spied on posters before they had submitted their text using some cgi-bin script. What I mean is, I could sorta 'grab' what they were typing and look over it before they submitted, without their knowledge.

I believe something similar could be happening here, I just want to know if the T&C allows it before I take it further.

randomizer

Champion
If such a function exists somebody better tell me... I mean gee I wouldn't want that :whistle:

Honestly, if it did exist, it wouldn't work. That's just how things go around here. Every fancy function given to us with higher powers doesn't work :lol: I can't even send people to the teletubbies anymore :cry: Plus I don't see how it could boost revenue, and therefore it wouldn't be implemented.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
i say if they peep they peep, write something absolutely fantastic or insane and play it up, like my neighbor that is obsessed with peering in my window , shes a bit psychotic and I believe shes made her psycho splash with a few legs up from me.

whats a bit of rope between friends. :D point is paranoia isnt a good shirt for anyone to put on, just do what you do and play a bit with it. And since you did it it coming back seems fair. personal change strays the hand of karma.

jennyh

Splendid
It just occured to me that it could be happening, and I've seen a few things that make me wonder is all.

I think one of it's main uses is to pre-empt offensive posts (hence why I have the feeling I'm being watched lol).

Note I didn't use the feature myself on my website, just that I could have and it was a simple case of adding a cgi-bin script.

Don't see why it would matter. I have never had any posts blocked that I know of and I post what I like.

If you are worried, type everything in notepad or the like before hand then a quick copy and paste into the quick reply box would allay those fears/

randomizer

Champion
As I said, nobody has the time to pre-empt posters. It's simply not feasible unless we at least quadruple the number of moderators. It doesn't serve any useful purpose other than causing a headache and there is no way I would bother following a poster around all day just to see what they might be typing.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Speaking on behalf of the Bestofmedia Network and the moderator team, I can say unequivocally that no such "spy" feature exists.

Even if it did, by some strange coincidence of weird programming on a list of features no one has or would ever request, the staff and moderators are way too busy to indulge in voyeuristic post-snooping. It is challenge enough to ensure proper moderation for what *is* said rather than worrying about what users are *thinking* about saying. :kaola:

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

*** !! man just when conspiracy theory started being fun again there comes the boorish facts. I was really hoping for a jenny voyeur instead of random bouts of paranoia.

xaira

Distinguished
oh like when typing an email in live and its automatically saved into drafts, i doubt toms has that, and what would be the point, if ur typing it, ur most likely gonna post it anyway, and isnt there a filter after you click submit your reply that filters naughty words?

Status
Not open for further replies.