Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System overheating?

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 1:39:41 PM

hey guys ive had my new computer for over a week now, i love it. built the whole thing myself, ive been play TF2, battlefield3, left 4 dead 2, but for some reason it heats up really quickly even when im just playing TF2. my cpu gets up to like 60-65 celcius and like 70 when i play battlefield3.
here are myspecs,
i5 2500k. stock cooler with no OC
8gb ddr3 1600Mhz
750 watt psu
asus gtx 570 with dcii
asrock p67 extreme4 gen3.
it idles at like 40 celcius, i havent been able to find if thats bad or not.
all my fans on the case are set up right, idk why its so hot. any ideas?

More about : system overheating

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2011 2:17:22 PM

40c is a bit hot, unless your room ambient is 85f. or so.
65c is hotter than I would expect.
The most likely reason is that your cpu cooler is not mounted quite properly.
The Intel pushpin mounts are notoriously difficult to do properly, and get all 4 pushpins completely through the motherboard and locked.
Look at the back of the motherboard, I'll bet one or two of the pins are not fully through.

With a system as nice as yours, I suggest you replace the stock cooler with a Xigmatek gaia or CM hyper 212. They cost about $30 and come with a 120mm fan which will be quieter and more effective. The mount is with a backplate which is easier.

If you want to try to remount your cooler, get a tube of mx-2 as5 or similar. Do not try to reuse the old paste.

The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.
November 7, 2011 3:48:09 PM

geofelt said:
40c is a bit hot, unless your room ambient is 85f. or so.
65c is hotter than I would expect.
The most likely reason is that your cpu cooler is not mounted quite properly.
The Intel pushpin mounts are notoriously difficult to do properly, and get all 4 pushpins completely through the motherboard and locked.
Look at the back of the motherboard, I'll bet one or two of the pins are not fully through.

With a system as nice as yours, I suggest you replace the stock cooler with a Xigmatek gaia or CM hyper 212. They cost about $30 and come with a 120mm fan which will be quieter and more effective. The mount is with a backplate which is easier.

If you want to try to remount your cooler, get a tube of mx-2 as5 or similar. Do not try to reuse the old paste.

The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.

yeah i remounted the cpu cooler, and no i idle from about 25-32 celcius. so thats a lot better thank you. havent tested it while gaming. i'll do that for an hour or two and report back the temps. right now my gpu idle is 30 celcius. is that good?
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 4:05:06 PM

okay so i played left 4 dead 2 at a res of 1920x1080, with everything maxed out for about for about 20 minutes.
my gpu max temp was 44 celcius, and my cpu max temp was 46 celcius. so it seems to have gone down quite a bit
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2011 4:51:06 PM

Good job!

I now think your temps are actually a bit better than average.

A GTX570 will downclock when not in gaming mode so your temps there are good too.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:22:16 PM

geofelt said:
Good job!

I now think your temps are actually a bit better than average.

A GTX570 will downclock when not in gaming mode so your temps there are good too.

thank you so much! haha its weird how much that actually made a difference! i think im gonna get the 212+ or the 212 evo so i can OC a bit. thanks again!
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:22:29 PM

Best answer selected by corymorrison.
m
l
!