Processor Core Frequency Measured In?

nyub

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I have created a question post here, due to the fact that i had a question on one of my test in my IT courses i am following, and got it wrong! lets see what tom's community has to say about this question...

The Question : Processor Core Frequencies are measured in?

a) Hertz
b) Mhz
c) Ghz
d) TeraHertz

Please provide your answers , perhaps a little explanation to why you picked your answer as well , i want to challenge this question and i am using multiple "reliable" sites to do so ... Thanks community!

CDdude55

Distinguished
What answer did you pick and why?, once you've found that out then you can challenge that question with your own intuition, doesn't really matter what anyone else has to say. If you think you're right, explain to the teacher/professor why that is.

I would pick Hertz, considering CPU's operate in cycles per second, it's exactly the measurement that is used. And as speed increases we get into the MHz and GHz ranges that modern CPU's in are, but they all mean the same thing, we just use different names as we go into millions of hertz and billions of hertz.

You can pick any of them. There are all the same base unit with a different prefix. If any of those gave you a wrong answer your professor is too picky. CPUZ and the like show MHz jus because it is convenient. 1 MHz=1E6 Hz. In engineering the goal is to have numbers between 1 and 1000, not including 1000.
Source: I'm a mechanical engineer. Everything I deal with uses prefixes.

nyub

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I picked "Hertz" and the answer was "GigaHertz" .... just because in the book it gives an example of GigaHertz being a processor core , the teacher took this answer (Ghz) ... in my opinion the measurement is Hertz ... because Mhz,Ghz,Thz are all measured in Hertz ... but i was wrong... apperantly...

I would strongly suggest talking with your teacher, and give him/her the reasoning for your answer. Because, as was pointed out above all 4 answers are correct. And if you really think about the logic of it, A is the most correct, as the other 3 are just variations of the same thing.

CDdude55

Distinguished

The question is stated wrong , if it's exactly as you posted it which is " Processor Core Frequencies are measured in?" then the question is far to general to simply be talking about what's in your book. So yes, talk to your teacher i'd say.

Not every CPU runs at billions of hertz, they're measured in the base unit which is simply hertz.