No display for XFX 6950 2GB - am I missing something?

Hi all, hope you can help.

I recently built a new system, specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Intel i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD
Generic DVD-RW
XFX 6950 2GB (HD-695X-CNDC)
Antec HCG-520W PSU

When I start the system without the GPU plugged into it boots correctly. If I plug the GPU in, all the fans appear to spin up however I get no display from either of the DVI ports on the graphics card. I don't think there should be any issues with the amount of power available, but I'm at a loss as to the issue. BIOS setting are default (i.e. no overclocking, until everything is working together).

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about display 6950 missing something
  1. Did you try plugging it into your motherboard's dvi or vga?
  2. With the GPU removed, output from the onboard VGA is fine. With the GPU plugged in there is no output from the onboard VGA (even if I enable onboard graphic 'Always' in the BIOS).

While I was checking that, I also pinged the machine while it is booted up without any display (i.e. GPU plugged in). It responds to ping fine. I think this rules out any power issues, so I'm trying to work out if it is a misconfiguration somewhere or a faulty part.
  3. Hi, are both the power leads plugged into the 6950?
  4. Yes, both 6 pin PCIe leads are plugged into the 6950 and the fan is spinning.

The Antec 300 case I have doesn't have a mobo speaker, but I assume that because I can ping the machine it has POSTed correctly
  5. Ok, I see. If you can ping your machine then that does prove its booting or booted to the OS. See if you can remote desktop onto it.
  6. If you can, pop the GPU into another machine.
  7. I confirmed that the machine was booting by VNCing into it from my laptop. I also tried plugging into the onboard DVI rather than VGA (which gave no output). As such, I concluded that there may be an issue with the monitor. Plugging into the graphic card through a DVI -> VGA converter works correctly (although doesn't look as good as I would like) - seems the issue was the monitor. Thanks for all your help above :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems