Sign in with
Your question

No display for XFX 6950 2GB - am I missing something?

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 2:43:26 PM

Hi all, hope you can help.

I recently built a new system, specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Intel i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD
Generic DVD-RW
XFX 6950 2GB (HD-695X-CNDC)
Antec HCG-520W PSU

When I start the system without the GPU plugged into it boots correctly. If I plug the GPU in, all the fans appear to spin up however I get no display from either of the DVI ports on the graphics card. I don't think there should be any issues with the amount of power available, but I'm at a loss as to the issue. BIOS setting are default (i.e. no overclocking, until everything is working together).

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2011 2:55:56 PM

Did you try plugging it into your motherboard's dvi or vga?
November 7, 2011 3:07:50 PM

With the GPU removed, output from the onboard VGA is fine. With the GPU plugged in there is no output from the onboard VGA (even if I enable onboard graphic 'Always' in the BIOS).

While I was checking that, I also pinged the machine while it is booted up without any display (i.e. GPU plugged in). It responds to ping fine. I think this rules out any power issues, so I'm trying to work out if it is a misconfiguration somewhere or a faulty part.
Related resources
November 7, 2011 3:09:04 PM

Hi, are both the power leads plugged into the 6950?
November 7, 2011 3:10:51 PM

Yes, both 6 pin PCIe leads are plugged into the 6950 and the fan is spinning.

The Antec 300 case I have doesn't have a mobo speaker, but I assume that because I can ping the machine it has POSTed correctly
November 7, 2011 3:11:54 PM

Ok, I see. If you can ping your machine then that does prove its booting or booted to the OS. See if you can remote desktop onto it.
November 7, 2011 3:13:33 PM

If you can, pop the GPU into another machine.
November 7, 2011 3:27:47 PM

I confirmed that the machine was booting by VNCing into it from my laptop. I also tried plugging into the onboard DVI rather than VGA (which gave no output). As such, I concluded that there may be an issue with the monitor. Plugging into the graphic card through a DVI -> VGA converter works correctly (although doesn't look as good as I would like) - seems the issue was the monitor. Thanks for all your help above :) 
!