Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Time for new gaming computer - 800-950 budget

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 3:01:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Month, probably a week or so before x-mas

Budget Range: 800-950 after rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (using my old computer for surfing, music, videos, etc...this will be a purely gaming rig)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor (will be buying a new one but not in this budget)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter to me, lower cost the better

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: None, looking for best bang for my buck for gaming

Overclocking: Most likely no

SLI or Crossfire: Most likely yes (in the future)

Monitor Resolution: Going to buy a new monitor (not in this cost) after the new year, most likely a 27" widescreen (any suggestions?)

Additional Comments: Basically need to get a new gaming computer, looking forward to playing SW:tOR and Diablo 3, I do enjoy fps but I gravitate back to a bit older games (tf2 and cs:s). I built my last computer ~6 years ago so I'm feeling its age when trying to play any newer game and I'm slowly getting back into what is best atm (reading through the forums when I have some free time) but I'm a long way from being caught up on all of today's technology. Right now I'm looking to get a good start on my new build, which I can tweak when the time to buy comes closer.

Thanks!
November 7, 2011 3:58:27 PM

Prices from newegg, didn't bother to look into combos since those won't be around when you build.

CPU: i5-2500k - $219
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $25 (at least overclock to like 4GHz since you really don't even have to think to pull that off)
MOBO: ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 - $125
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3250312AS 250GB 7200 RPM - $90 (or whatever you can find cheap due to flooding)
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V (use whatever is cheap) - $50 or less
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 - $60
GPU: XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB - $200 with rebate
PSU: Corsair TX650 - $85 after rebate

Total - $854

With OS - $954

You should at least do a simple overclock with the i5, since it is so easy to do. Most chips can do 4.5GHz with a bit of tweaking, and can do 4GHz easily. The Hyper 212+ is the cheapest cost effective air cooler available.

I chose the mobo (same as the one I have) because it can overclock, has SLI support, PCIe3.0 (with Ivy Bridge), USB3.0 and Sata III and it is cheap.

HDD, just picked one randomly that was cheap. There is a good chance you'll have to pay more unless you can find a steal at somewhere that didn't raise their prices. You could swap out to a 64GB SSD, but I didn't think that would be big enough and a 128GB is too expensive. It seems to me like SSD prices are rising a bit with the HDD prices.

For the RAM just choose whatever is on sale that meets those specs. Unless you want to overclock your RAM to the extreme anything will work.

I chose the case because it seems popular and should fit everything. I would suggest anything with 120mm fan support in the rear & top.

The XFX 6950 is the best graphics card for the budget after spending all the money on everything else you need. It also comes with a lifetime warranty which is useful if you keep your PCs for 5-6 years. The 560Ti is an alternative but is slightly more expensive and a fairly even match.

Either AMD or NVidia dual GPUs would work on the Corsair TX650.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 7, 2011 4:24:47 PM

Great build Nord Lead
Only suggestion on my end would be to buy the CPU from microcenter (instore only sadly). The i5K is only $180, and the nonK is $150. OCing is fun and easy, but it is not for everyone. If you have any chance of doing it in the future then go for the K version, it is only $30.
Take that savings on the processor, combine it with the $90 for the HDD and get an SSD instead., Move the old HDD to the new system and use the SSD cashing on the mobo to really get some fast load times for the games. Later when the HDD prices go back down with the flood waters then replace the HDD with something larger, or put in a Raid1 storage space for backups and media.

I just bought the extreme3 gen3 mobo for my rig, can't wait till it gets in and I can get off of my C2D!

Good Luck Lokster1!
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 4:58:44 PM

Almost exactly the same as my build (I got a gigabyte OC version of the 6950), excellent choices there. I'm VERY happy with my rig (using this same motherboard and the i52500k). Overclocking is exceptionally easy with this motherboard too, it has a built-in method to basically select the overclock you want and it selects all the remaining settings for you if you don't want to learn more about it. I also feel a SSD is still not worth it until at least 120gb versions are cheaper, then you can throw one in with SATAIII when ready.
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:58:46 PM

make sure u get TX 650 V2 cause first gen failed .. or any other psu will work .. that is good
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:04:50 PM

madchemist83 said:
make sure u get TX 650 V2 cause first gen failed .. or any other psu will work .. that is good

Thanks for the note, I accidentally left off the V2 in my post. On newegg the original is actually more expensive.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:26:09 PM

also check if u have microcenter stroe close by as they have some nice combos.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:27:10 PM

@ nordlead .. how high u have ur 2500k clocked with that mobo?
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:35:48 PM

nordlead said:
Prices from newegg, didn't bother to look into combos since those won't be around when you build.

CPU: i5-2500k - $219
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $25 (at least overclock to like 4GHz since you really don't even have to think to pull that off)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3250312AS 250GB 7200 RPM - $90 (or whatever you can find cheap due to flooding)
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V (use whatever is cheap) - $50 or less
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 - $60
GPU: XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB - $200 with rebate
PSU: Corsair TX650 - $85 after rebate

Total - $854

With OS - $954

You should at least do a simple overclock with the i5, since it is so easy to do. Most chips can do 4.5GHz with a bit of tweaking, and can do 4GHz easily. The Hyper 212+ is the cheapest cost effective air cooler available.

I chose the mobo (same as the one I have) because it can overclock, has SLI support, PCIe3.0 (with Ivy Bridge), USB3.0 and Sata III and it is cheap.

HDD, just picked one randomly that was cheap. There is a good chance you'll have to pay more unless you can find a steal at somewhere that didn't raise their prices. You could swap out to a 64GB SSD, but I didn't think that would be big enough and a 128GB is too expensive. It seems to me like SSD prices are rising a bit with the HDD prices.

For the RAM just choose whatever is on sale that meets those specs. Unless you want to overclock your RAM to the extreme anything will work.

I chose the case because it seems popular and should fit everything. I would suggest anything with 120mm fan support in the rear & top.

The XFX 6950 is the best graphics card for the budget after spending all the money on everything else you need. It also comes with a lifetime warranty which is useful if you keep your PCs for 5-6 years. The 560Ti is an alternative but is slightly more expensive and a fairly even match.

Either AMD or NVidia dual GPUs would work on the Corsair TX650.

Thanks a bunch =D

I also don't mind spending a bit of extra cash on upgrades that make sense, if I'm only using this computer for gaming would a SSD make more sense? Found this one on newegg and seems to have good reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

As for overclocking, I would be up for it if its as easy as it sounds (without adding much cost for extra fans/heatsinks). I usually learn how to do stuff very quickly so I'm not afraid of challenges but I have to be conscious of cost.

Would that PSU be enough for future expansion? I forgot to mention that I would most likely have to have a wireless adaptor, plus I would have some sort of dvd-r

Caedenv - I'd rather not use my HDD from my current computer, would that make the SSD less of a factor?

madchemist83 - I don't have one that close to my house BUT I do have a job site within ~30 minutes of one, so I might need to make a trip when I'm on the other side of the state =D

Thanks again guys
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:57:36 PM

madchemist83 said:
@ nordlead .. how high u have ur 2500k clocked with that mobo?

I only did a few hundred MHz (I think 200MHz) while I was quickly playing around. I had my board for one week and it has a bad VRM or Capacitors and I didn't want to risk blowing things up. I'm currently waiting for a new one to arrive. I've seen 4.5GHz overclocks on the board, but I haven't looked for anything higher. I plan on keeping it stock except when I want to do some HD home video editing, but I'll probably play around and see if I can break 4.5GHz with safe voltages and temperatures.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:00:44 PM

Yes do visit microcenter .. u can get 2500k for 180+tax and if u combo it with any P67 or Z68 mobo available it's extra $60 off .. best deal available
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:02:59 PM

@ nordlead
that's what I heard that 4.5 is max for that mobo .. I'm thinking asus p8p67 pro .. combed with 2500k only $314 after taxes
I've heard they can go up to 4.9 Ghz
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:20:43 PM

Lokster1 said:
Thanks a bunch =D

I also don't mind spending a bit of extra cash on upgrades that make sense, if I'm only using this computer for gaming would a SSD make more sense? Found this one on newegg and seems to have good reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

As for overclocking, I would be up for it if its as easy as it sounds (without adding much cost for extra fans/heatsinks). I usually learn how to do stuff very quickly so I'm not afraid of challenges but I have to be conscious of cost.

Would that PSU be enough for future expansion? I forgot to mention that I would most likely have to have a wireless adaptor, plus I would have some sort of dvd-r

Caedenv - I'd rather not use my HDD from my current computer, would that make the SSD less of a factor?

madchemist83 - I don't have one that close to my house BUT I do have a job site within ~30 minutes of one, so I might need to make a trip when I'm on the other side of the state =D

Thanks again guys

The only reason I didn't suggest a SSD is because a 64GB SSD and a HDD would put you over budget. 64GB alone might work if you have a file server (or some other kind of external storage) or if you don't mind uninstalling games depending on how often you get new ones. Win7 will take ~15-25GB depending on what you turn off (like system restore), and new games all seem to be in the 10GB range. Windows + 4 games doesn't seem all that appealing to me. Also, I personally can't justify the cost (I don't have one in my build) but I would love one myself. I'm waiting for a 128GB SSD to be in my price range and any data files are going on my file server. Since they don't increase the FPS I tend not to suggest them unless the budget can easily fit it.

For overclocking you have two options. The automatic mode (voltages might not be optimal but it will work), or follow the beginning part of this guide to get you to 4GHz. I mean, if you are dead set against overclocking then you'll save like $50 by downgrading to a non-k chip and $25 for the 212+.

I originally picked the PSU size to handle SLI and maybe a few small additions (like an extra HDD). I forgot to list an optical drive in my build but I accounted for it with the PSU :D  However, it's not like you actually run those while gaming so it really don't contribute to peak load. Everything combined at full load with a modest CPU overclock will take ~550W if I remember correctly. My wireless adapter takes ~20W to stay connected so you have room for that. The only thing you might not be able to do with the PSU is an extreme overclock along with the SLI.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:36:07 PM

madchemist83 said:
@ nordlead
that's what I heard that 4.5 is max for that mobo .. I'm thinking asus p8p67 pro .. combed with 2500k only $314 after taxes
I've heard they can go up to 4.9 Ghz

If that is true it is still fine for my build, since I'm not after anything crazy. I'll find out in a couple weeks when I get my replacement. I looked at the other boards available, but I really wanted the Z68 chipset for quicksync and the Extreme3 Gen3 was by far the best board that would fit in my budget.

I think it would be fine for this build too, but that combo/deal is really good. I didn't look at Microcenter because the nearest one to me is ~270 miles away :) 
m
l
November 8, 2011 11:32:31 AM

Another question: I said I was planning on buying a new monitor after the new year, does it make a difference with respect to the resolution of the monitor and graphic cards? ie. Do I need to make sure the two mesh with each other for best performance/resolution? or does it not really matter?
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:01:31 PM

The GPU's listed can easily handle up to 1920x1200. Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than 1080p now since you can get a decent one at a good price.
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:01:38 PM

Nordlead - Couple of things I've found looking at the parts you listed above:

First, would it be smart to invest in a 750W PSU, I found a similar one that you listed for just $5 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
Unless there is something there that wouldn't work with the rest of the configuration? I'd rather have a little extra power to spare in case I decide to add anything later.

Secondly, would it be worth it to use the 40 or so dollar I will save on my CPU by going to Micro Center to upgrade to the graphics card to a 6950 2GB from the 1GB?

I guess I would like to see where, if I decided to spend a bit more money, I would get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks again
m
l
November 9, 2011 6:22:25 PM

For $5 why not upgrade the PSU. I orignally picked the PSU trying to leave as much money as possible for the GPU and stay within budget. I obviously didn't check every PSU out there, so there might be some good buys at a similar price.

The upgrade from 1GB to 2GB only matters at high resolutions (over 1080p) with AA enabled. You can read this and decide for yourself - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-...
m
l
November 9, 2011 7:59:33 PM

Thanks for the link, looks like the 2GB isn't worth the cost. I might spend the money on a bigger monitor =D
m
l
November 10, 2011 2:40:34 AM

Post ur approximate configuration so we can check possible options
m
l
November 10, 2011 3:05:44 PM

Ok here is what I'm looking at right now:

CPU: i5-2500k - $191 after tax

Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $25 or for $32 CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Looks like the second one has slightly better airflow, not sure it would make a difference though

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX - $50

RAM: Viper Xtreme Series 8GB DDR3-1600 - $44 after rebate

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 - $50 after rebate

GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 1GB - $240 after rebate

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 - $90 after rebate

DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R - $18

Total - $840 after rebates, using more expensive cooler

I picked that GPU based on that link nordlead gave me yesterday, that card appeared to have the best performance and was one of the lower on heat output, I'm trying to keep the case as cool as possible.

Thanks again for all the help
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:23:03 PM

Hyper 212+/evo - The review I read said they didn't see a difference in performance. I've seen others claim the evo is better. The only difference is the way the heatpipes are spaced (no spacing on the evo, you can look at pictures to see the difference).

Since the 212+ works well enough and I haven't seen any definitive proof that the evo works better I don't see why I'd spend an extra $7 on maybe a single degree Celsius. Then again, I'm not an extreme overclocker and if I was I wouldn't be buying the Hyper 212.
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:32:05 PM

CPU is perfect
Cooler get EVO it's worth extra $7
Mobo is ok. I think it's better for u to combo mobo and cpu in microcenter .. get something like Asus P8P67 pro
that RAM is no good need 1.5V
get one from Amazon Corsair Vengance Low Profile it's only $47
I would recommend against that case just cause it doesn't have filters
but if that's not an issue go for it.
I see u going for CF in the future .. if u do i'd suggest get 2gb version
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:58:15 PM

Hardware secrets tested the 212+ and 212 EVO on two different processors. You can't compare the results from their two tests so I don't know how they conclude that the EVO is better. I didn't do a complete check, but I couldn't quickly find identical cpu coolers in both tests, however, even if there was they might not be the same case, fan, and PSU setup (didn't bother to check that)

As an example, the intel stock cooler dropped 10C between the old and new test (86 down to 76). The EVO only dropped 8 degrees less than the + did (44 down to 36).
m
l
November 10, 2011 7:28:36 PM

what about EVGA superclocker ?
m
l
November 11, 2011 11:18:14 AM

madchemist83 said:
what about EVGA superclocker ?

I'm open to any suggestions you guys can come up with, I just was just basing my picks off price/reviews/charts that I have seen for the products. Brand doesn't make a difference to me, I have used both AMD/Intel and Nvidia/ATI in the past, whatever is best for the price is what I want.

From what I saw it looked like the 6950 1GB was basically as good as the 2GB model, but that was for single card performance. I do plan on buying a second card later to x-fire them so would it be wise to get the 2GB version based on that?

Any suggestions on cases, with and without filters (not sure how much the make the price jump)?

Thanks!
m
l
November 11, 2011 11:46:26 AM

I don't know that much about SLI/Crossfire and memory size. I was under the impression that so long as the output is the same, the extra RAM doesn't make a difference. So, if a 1GB card works fine on 1080p, then 1GB in SLI/Crossfire works fine on 1080p. Now, if you are going to a multi-screen or high resolution screen setup along with that SLI, then 2GB would make sense.

My reasoning, is that in SLI/Crossfire the cards are doing the same exact thing they would do by themselves, except they skip every other frame so the other card can handle that one.

I may be wrong though.
m
l
November 11, 2011 6:25:06 PM

A couple of different case options I found today:

NZXT M59 - $50

NZXT GAMMA - $36

Rosewill CHALLENGER - $50

RAIDMAX SMILODON - $55 after rebate

I know it might be a bit early to finalize a case since I still have other parts up in the air but figured it doesn't hurt to get peoples opinions.

Thanks!
m
l
November 11, 2011 8:30:29 PM

If u'll CF get 2Gb version.
Coolers choice - CM Hyper+, EVO.
Corsair A70 or EVGA Superclocker
Cases u pick I don't think have filters
also make sure u can fit 2 GPU's inside - Radeons are pretty long ( ~ 11")
I'd go with Carbide 400R or NZXT H2
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:12:19 PM

madchemist83 said:
If u'll CF get 2Gb version.
Coolers choice - CM Hyper+, EVO.
Corsair A70 or EVGA Superclocker
Cases u pick I don't think have filters
also make sure u can fit 2 GPU's inside - Radeons are pretty long ( ~ 11")
I'd go with Carbide 400R or NZXT H2

I wasn't looking at the length of the cards....it looks like some of those cases won't fit a 11" card, anyways I like that Carbide 400R and it looks like it has plenty of room for everything I'm getting, at Micro Center for $95 after tax.

Any other possibilities for the mobo?

Thanks again
m
l
November 16, 2011 2:58:22 PM

Do u plan to oc ur CPU?
m
l
November 16, 2011 5:01:48 PM

madchemist83 said:
Do u plan to oc ur CPU?

I guess it would depend on how easy it is and what kind of gains I would get from doing it. Have no experience in OC though.
m
l
November 16, 2011 5:03:33 PM

well if u don't there is no pint getting k version of CPU
if u do and plan on serious one better get a different mobo
that Asrock one is piece of crap
m
l
November 16, 2011 5:26:06 PM

The Extreme3 Gen3 isn't crap. Just not likely to push a chip to 5GHz and above. A lot of the savings come from slimmed down features that most people don't use. For example, I don't need dual gigabit, onboard USB3.0, 4xSata 6G, and so on.

I also did a bit of research on overclocking with the board and found a few people who made it above 4.5GHz and one who made it to 5GHz. While this may not be the best board for overclocking, it is sufficient for what you can expect from your average chip and a Hyper 212+/EVO.

I'm still waiting for my motherboard to come back. SuperBiiz.com has a really slow RMA process since the board has been in there possession since last Wednesday and it still isn't on it's way back. While SuperBiiz was easy to work with, their slow service might just prevent me from buying from them again. Once it is back though, I can give you my own personal experience with overclocking on the board.
m
l
November 16, 2011 7:00:53 PM

madchemist83 said:
well if u don't there is no pint getting k version of CPU
if u do and plan on serious one better get a different mobo
that Asrock one is piece of crap

Well I'm looking at this mobo from your suggestion: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364206

Might actually get this rig in the next couple of weeks, so I'm needing to finalize the build soon, and I will post my updated part list when I get out of work later today.

Thanks again
m
l
November 17, 2011 2:05:36 AM

Ok here is my updated list (using all newegg links but will be getting the CPU/Case/Mobo from Micro Center):

I'm 99% on:

CPU: i5-2500k - $191 after tax

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R - $95 after tax

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 - $90 after rebate

I'm 70% on:

Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO - $35

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 PRO - $158

GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB - $280 after rebate

Will just get the cheapest things I can find when I'm ready to pull the trigger:

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX - $64

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $55 after rebate

DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - $21

TOTAL: $989 a bit over my budget but I think it's a pretty nice setup

I switched to the 2gb GPU based on the plan of doing crossfire in the future, I also think I will be OC my CPU too, after reading about it I think I can do it without to much hassle.

A couple of questions,

On the mobo I see there is a bunch of them listed for the Asus P8Z68, ie. Pro, Deluxe, Evo, what is the difference between these?

With the current mobo and CPU cooler do you see any issues with the cooler and ram interfering with each other? With this new case I think everything else (especially the GPU) will fit fine.
m
l
November 17, 2011 4:41:04 AM

Also that Ram is 1.65v u want 1.5v check out amazon
m
l
November 17, 2011 4:02:35 PM

Ram is ok - also it's sold out as of right now
PSU is not good .. for corsair PSUs u want to look for V2 models
m
l
November 17, 2011 9:31:58 PM

for the motherboard you selected the p67 version, but you are asking about the Z68 version.

anyways, the boards have various features that others don't. this is a good spreadsheet for quickly comparing boards - https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoXai57oo6AGdH...

I have no clue what the colors mean and I'm not a member over at overclock.net to ask.
m
l
November 18, 2011 11:17:43 AM

nordlead said:
for the motherboard you selected the p67 version, but you are asking about the Z68 version.

anyways, the boards have various features that others don't. this is a good spreadsheet for quickly comparing boards - https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoXai57oo6AGdH...

I have no clue what the colors mean and I'm not a member over at overclock.net to ask.

That was my fault I wasn't paying attention and linked the wrong board at newegg, here is the correct board:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

What is the difference between the p67 and z68? is it just the chip set? from the chart you linked the only other difference I could see was that the z68 came with video output but I would never use that since I will have a graphic card right?
m
l
November 18, 2011 12:24:18 PM

Yea, only the chipset is different between the Z and P versions. The video output is to support the Z chipset.
m
l
November 18, 2011 12:46:29 PM

nordlead said:
Yea, only the chipset is different between the Z and P versions. The video output is to support the Z chipset.

So I'm assuming the Z chipset is an improvement from the P version?
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:00:00 PM

Yes and no. The Z chipset adds IGP support (which also brings Quick Sync support), and Intel SRT (SSD caching). If you don't need either of those features there are no benefits since both have the same future upgrade paths.

I got the Z chipset for my PC because I wanted to use Quick Sync for my home videos.
m
l
November 19, 2011 11:41:06 PM

Ok here is my updated system (link should be all correct this time =P)

From Micro Center:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R - $95.39

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K - $190.79

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO - $158.99

From Newegg:

GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III - $279.99 after rebate

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W - $134.99 after rebate

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $44.99

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3250312AS 250GB - $89.99

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - $34.99

Shipping: $15.31

Total: 1,045.43

About $100 over my budget but planning on using newegg preferred customer so I'll get another $15 off plus have a year to pay it off which won't be an issue.

Any suggestions on swapping anything out? What would be the bottleneck of the system? I would be open to other HDDs, doesn't seem like there is a good selection out there right now though....

Thanks again for all the help guys.
m
l

Best solution

November 20, 2011 12:17:12 AM

Everything looks good to me. As for bottlenecks, the reality is there always is one. For gaming it'll be the 6950 most of the time, but there are some games like Skyrim that are totally bottlenecked by the CPU even with a weak GPU.
November 20, 2011 12:20:40 AM

If u have HDD tht u can use I would suggest getting SSD and using it as a boot drive.
If don't have no extra HDDs - get a bigger one ... 500Gb still going for under $100
I would go for different PSU .. at least TX V2 or PC Power and Cooling.
Don't forget about microstuttering for dual GPU setup
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:36:33 AM

I didn't notice the PSU wasn't the V2 version. The v2 version is cheaper and better.
m
l
!