Dimm(s) checksum error

quantumcheese

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi, i have an asus m3a32-mvp deluxe MB with a Phenom 9600 and 4 x 1gb 1066 DDR2.
a while back I started to get on boot "dimm checksum error" press f1 etc. Windows however hasn't complained, or at least not until recently.
I had one issue which revolved around firefox and 'something stuck in a cache' which caused repeated bsod's every time i opened firefox. but i found what that was, deleted it & all was well again.
Then i get myself a shiny new HTC phone. all is well for a day or two, then when i press various buttons in the HTC software i get bsod. slightly miffed i removed (i beleve) all traces of the HTC software and just transferred files to it manually. that was fine until today, i plug the phone in, the 'what do you want to do with' window popped up, followed immediately by a 0x0000007f bsod (all other parameters were just zeros).

I just ran memtest86 and all 4gb checks of fine? no errors??
naturally i have done a whole suite of tests on the OS & hdd all are fine

I know an easy thing to do would be to bin the mem & buy some more but this system has been running now a number of years just fine, even with the bios error. so any ideas appreciated.

The only thing i haven't mentioned is that this error 1st occurred after a water cooling power failure incident, whereby it over heated and reset itself. If i remember correctly the memory controller is embedded in the Phenom CPU so, maybe i fricassee'd my cpu? but why does memtest work?
also, The Mem is 1066 but the MB has never clocked it over 800 (memtest was running at 667)
in desperation today i even flashed the bios - always a last resort. no change

Asus m3a32-mvp deluxe MB
Phenum 9600 black - not overclocked
Corsair (i think, need to check) 4 x 1Gb 1066 ddr2 (not listed on asus mem compatability chart)
boot hdd ocz vertex 2, plus 3 x Wd 500Gb. no swap file
2x radion 4850's
xp Pro sp3, Avast free v.latest

quantumcheese

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
"So you get the errors only with the HTC software?"

Well, strictly speaking no as i have un-installed it now (or at least believe i have), the most recent occurrence i just plugged the phone in to the usb without having any software installed. (or driver or passthruservice)

quantumcheese

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
the driver would be on my list of prime suspects, it's just annoying that i can't get a 100% repeatable symptoms. i plugged the phone in twice today, but only got a bsod once.