Intel QX9770 Install nightmares

davehan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
System setup

Asus P5Q3 DELUXE w/ wifi@on
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9770 @ 3.20GHz, 3203 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX
2 x ATI Radeon HD4850
OCZ-ZX1250W Power Supply

I started out by upgrading the ram from 4gb to the 16gb above to my old Q6700 processor just to get the ball rolling.
Everything was working great.

Installed the new processor.

System began to not turn on all the time, and when it did, it talked about cpu and bus ratio. so i downclocked the ram to 1333Mhz and it booted stable all the time. However, my usb devices started only working 1 at a time. If i have my keyboard plugged in, my external hard drive doesn't show. As soon as I unplug the keyboard, the drive appears.

I have a Logitech G19 keyboard and since the processor upgrade it works for typing but shows up as Device not recognized and the screen doesn't light up.

Went on the forums and tried different voltage settings and whatnot, none came out successful.

I took out the ram and put in my old OCZ 4GB 1066Mhz and it boots good. But the usb devices are still doing the same thing.

I am out of things to try and have determined either my motherboard can't handle the cpu, the cpu is shot, or there is something I am overlooking.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried resetting the CLR CMOS jumper to set the BIOS to default? (Remove bat first) If problems still persist after that, I would consider the RAM. Many motherboards don't play well with all slots populated with the fastest memory, if it isn't on the QVL.

davehan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
When I have the 16gb of ram installed yes, resseting the cmos will all me to get to the bios settings but will fail upon restart. right now i have the 4gb of 1066Mhz installed and it runs fun however, my usb devices are still acting weird.

davehan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I will run CCleaner as a last resort as this is a brand new windows install. I am going to take out my this processor and put in the old one to see if everything goes back to normal. If so I will need to find a motherboard and ram that match. I will update everyone tomorrow with my results.

Why? Deleting all processors in Device Manager and rebooting does the same and it takes a lot less time.