Will I notice a significant difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raexn

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello, I have a Radeon X800 GTO PCI-E 256bit card currently, running on an Abit AN8 board/ 2gigs ram/ 2ghz process, and I'm thinking about upgrading the video card up to a HD 4670. I know my psu will be able to handle the card just fine.
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=579&card2=321

That link indicates some increases, but I noticed the 256bit makes a big difference in the performance of my current card and it made me wary to buy this one. Any opinions?

Solution
There is also the fact that most cards above the 4670 would likely get bottlenecked by a 2 GHz dual core CPU. That combined with the fact that you have the PCI-E 2.1 compatibility problem will restrict you to the HD 4000 series cards or lower. The 4670 will work okay, and is a large step up from your current card. You could look into something higher up in the HD 4000 series if you want, and if your power supply can handle them, but you may not get full performance out of some of those cards with your CPU.
An HD 4670 is a rather large jump from an X800 GTO. You certainly would see significantly better performance, even with the older, slower CPU you have. The 4670 is much more powerful than the X800GTO, even with a narrower memory bus, the HD 4670 will be much faster.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
while there will be an improvement, I dont think its worth it. You should go with a better card then the 4670.
The lowest card you should consider is the 6770 which you can get for about 100 bucks

raexn

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Well, my current motherboard has the nForce4 chipset, and from what I've found, it has compatibility issues with anything in the HD 5x series. I've got a hd 5770 laying around that works fine in my friends machines, but will not work period in this one. Will not post or boot, with no error code. Its an issue thats posted all over forums for AN8 boards + hd5770 cards. Due to that, and the hardware in the machine right now, I'm just looking for a bit better performance for games like Rift, cause this is going to be a secondary machine soon that I'll hand off to my wife/kids to play games on.

... of course, if anyone has tested any higher cards or similar cards like the 5770 on a AN8 board, and it works, do tell.

There is also the fact that most cards above the 4670 would likely get bottlenecked by a 2 GHz dual core CPU. That combined with the fact that you have the PCI-E 2.1 compatibility problem will restrict you to the HD 4000 series cards or lower. The 4670 will work okay, and is a large step up from your current card. You could look into something higher up in the HD 4000 series if you want, and if your power supply can handle them, but you may not get full performance out of some of those cards with your CPU.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.