Sign in with
Your question

MSI 890FXA-GD70 will not post

Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2012 8:30:45 PM

In an attempt to flash my BIOS, I turned my rather expensive new computer into a paperweight. I was attempting to update the BIOS to the most recent version using a flash drive, when something went wrong with the instillation and the computer went altogether non responsive. Right now the system isn't posting at all and the small hexadecimal display on the motherboard is displaying "FF" which is an error code not in the manual. I've tried removing the BIOS battery to no avail. The only way to solve this problem I've found so far is with an Arduino and I'd like to know if there's another way.

I can provide more information if needed.

More about : msi 890fxa gd70 post

a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 9:02:22 PM

Where you trying to flash the latest BIOS witch is version 1.15?
The flashing FF usually means that the BIOS can't detect the CPU. Where you updating the BIOS though Windows a bootable USB stick or though the M-Flash menu in the bios? And when you sa something went wrong what happened? Did you get a error or did it flash correctly and shutdown or just quit responding? Aslo where you updating the the latest bios from MSI's website?
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:11:54 PM

I was updating to the 1.15 software, downloaded from MSI's website, using the M-Flash menu in the BIOS. Just before the update I backed up the image of my previous BIOS into the attached flash drive. I'm starting to think that had something to do with my problem, but I'm (clearly) no expert on the subject.

Everything appeared to be updating correctly until the system rebooted after the instillation of the new BIOS. The screen just sort of remained black. After waiting for some time I cut the power and proceeded to do what MSI suggested for these occasions (redirecting pins, removing the BIOS battery) and neither of those seemed to help at all.

As of right now I'm also trying to get ahold of whom I bought the computer from to see if the part is still on warranty so I can have it replaced.
m
l
!