New Antec Platinum 450w any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

When the voltage deviates too far from the intended voltage that the rail is supposed to deliver when the load on the power supply is measured from idle to full load.

The +12V rails of the EA-650 Platinum deviates by 2.92%. On a good power supply the deviation should be less than 2% for the +12V rails.

e56imfg

Distinguished

A 580? Doesn't that require a 600w+ PSU?

Looks like those Antec EarthWatts Platinum models are based on FSP's ETN platform.

The EA-650 Platinum is the only one I see reviews for, since it's so new.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-EarthWatts-Platinum-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1472

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/EA-650_Platinum/

e56imfg

Distinguished

So HardwareSecrets said it was a great PSU while Techpowerup said it was only mediocre. I don't really know too much about PSUs so can someone explain why this PSU did so poorly on Techpowerup's benchmarks?

The Antec EA-450 Platinum has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps.

You wouldn't want to be powering a system with a GeForce GTX 580 with that power supply because the power supply will be running at close to its maximum limit under a typical gaming graphics load. The power supply won't last very long under that kind of abuse.

techPowerUp! didn't like the following:
• Loose voltage regulation
• Only two PCIe connectors
• Failed +3.3V performance in Advanced Transient Tests at 50% Load

The Antec EarthWatts Platinum isn't considered to be a premium product. It's targeted at the budget oriented users.

e56imfg

Distinguished

What are loose voltage regulations?

When the voltage deviates too far from the intended voltage that the rail is supposed to deliver when the load on the power supply is measured from idle to full load.

The +12V rails of the EA-650 Platinum deviates by 2.92%. On a good power supply the deviation should be less than 2% for the +12V rails.

Solution

peoplelone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
came upon this Antec 80+ Platinum 450w. I have never seen a 80+ Plat under 500w. I can't find any reviews but what do you guys think

Status
Not open for further replies.