Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DELL OPTIPLEX GX620

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 7:14:28 PM

Hello,

I have a DELL Optiplex GX620 (Pentium 4) with 1GB RAM (4 slots: 512MB each in two slots and the remainder empty) and a Seagate (I think) 80GB hard drive running the latest version of Windows XP (32-bit). So far it’s been ultra-reliable.

I’d like to increase the RAM to 2 or 4GB and replace the hard drive with a 1TB internal hard drive so that I can load programs much faster.

Would one of the newly released Seagate Barracuda drives fit the bill or would you recommend another brand/

Finally, to save money, I’ll have to replace the RAM and hard drive myself. As someone who has never opening up a PC case, would this be a doable task?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

More about : dell optiplex gx620

November 7, 2011 7:34:38 PM

i think your mobo can't support 1tb hard drive so the better way is 320gb seagate barracuda sata 7200rpm.1tb cannot boost up your programes it allow to install many applications it doesn't increase your application speed.
Score
November 11, 2011 12:19:26 AM

What are you going to be using this computer for? And yes, those upgrades are very easy to do for a beginner. But just so you know, Windows XP 32bit will only be able to recognize 3-3.5gb of your 4gb of RAM. You'll need a 64bit OS to be able to use all 4.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 12, 2011 12:13:25 AM

Hi, I don't know of any 1TB limit on disk drives in your PC. Your PC has one SATA port. You should be able to buy a sata disk and install. Seagate fine brand for disk.

Now the problem: How to get the data from the old disk to the new one? With only one sata port this is a problem. You can buy an external USB disk, use windows backup to save a disk image on the external usb disk, create a recovery bootable disk then install your new disk and then restore fro the external usb disk. Kind of complicated, but it does give you a recovery strategy you can use.

Or you can buy an external USB adapter for a SATA drive then use software like Acronis True Image (there is a trial version) to clone the disk. Some disk makers (e.g. WD) provide a version for free. With this approach you put the new SATA disk in the external usb adapter and then plug it into the computer. Copy over the data. Power down computer. Remove old drive, install new drive. Done. You can stick in memory at the same time. I also have a 32-bit copy of windows running with 4GB of memory -- only 3.x GB is recognized but there is no functional problem and memory is cheap.
November 12, 2011 4:05:19 AM

Hello Freddo. I just want to pop in and say that what you want to do is very easy. However, make sure you do your homework to ensure that you get the right RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Also, avoid brick and mortor stores to purchase parts, as generally they will charge a significant amount more than if you just bought the items on newegg.com . Newegg.com, but the way, also has a memory compatibility finder. Your PC should be able to handle 1TB drives. Though, be prepared. You used to be able to buy a 1TB disk for as low as $64, but with a major shortage in HDDs due to catastrophic flooding in Thailand, the cheapest you will find is $140.

tsnor has great info on everything, so I'd listen to him/her.
Score
November 20, 2011 1:19:13 AM

G'day pro-gamer, gmaster456, tsnor and phyco126,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've taken all your suggestions on board and will buy 4GB of Kingston RAM this week.

Due to the elevated prices of disk drives at the moment, I 'll probably back up my data and reinstall Windows XP on the existing drive to see if this improves the software loading times.

Thanks again,
Freddo101.
Score
November 30, 2011 4:11:10 AM

Best answer selected by Freddo101.
Score
!