Sign in with
Your question

A6 3650 + physx possible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2011 9:06:40 AM

I have an a6 3650 aPu. And I want to know if I can add a dedicated physx card to to that?

So basically a really strong igp plus a dedicated physx card
I have an asrock a75m-hvs
ddr3 2100 ram
sata II hard drive
a6 3650 apu overclocked to 3.6 on 1.25 volt max. normally default is 1.41 volt
sunbeam core contact cooler
looking for a physx card maybe a gt 9600/9500since the memroy and cuda cores are he most important thing
I wish nvida would just make a ppu like ageia did just a geforce ppu with gddr5 with a small graphics core to support both software and hardware physx, and sell it for 50

More about : 3650 physx

a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2011 5:10:19 PM

Don't go for any thing less than a 9600gt for physx but I haven't had the opportunity to do a dedicated card yet on a apu. The apu would still have to be the one that is going to handle the load while the nvidia drivers have to be hacked ie a patch for it to work. I suggest a 8800/9800gt for better overall performance but those cards are faster than your apu.
m
l
September 10, 2011 5:42:56 PM

Thanks, I wanted to know if it could work on the apu. I have fluid mark and downloaded genl physx mod, I am using physx on my cpu to how ell it will work with the apu's grapphics core. But i still have problems with gravity. any suggestions

also I realize a 9600-9800 gt is great but I dont' want to plug another card via 6 pin molex connector. I think physx/cuda has more to do with bandwith than graphics core as well as stream processing i.e. cuda cores , right becuase your not doing any rendering, another question is anyone keeping up with the ageai physx card drivers? I know nvidia does not support them anymore. I tryied googling for a ptach but I don't know if there is a community trying to keep up with nvidia sdk support for ageia
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 11, 2011 3:21:25 AM

Nvidia discontinued support for Ageia cards last year or towards the end of the year before last. There is more than just bandwidth or any thing out there would be like warm cream or soft butter. A dated Ageia card provides more bang when it comes to physx than even an i7 quad core. Given the performance of amd cpu-s at such clocks that is a lot to ask of any apu. A little power is nothing to loose if cuda/physx is what you are into. I have been down both roads and the only real way to go is either a cheap dedicated card or one good main card but what would have been the point of an apu if going that way. The other is to do without.
m
l
September 11, 2011 4:27:56 AM

well I just want to see what the apu can do with a physx card. APU's are only going to get stronger if this is what the mainstream gpu/cpu future is going to look like. I mean when trinity comes out it probably going to have 50% better dedicated graphics core and this already has 400 stream processors, or what ever ati is calling them these days. I ran fluid mark with cpu physx on all cores and the gpu enabled granted it was a miserable to watch plus I have not found the patch to enable gravity. all the gold balls are up and on the side while red spews from the four geyser things. I got 8 fpps not overclocked and on ddr3 1600 speed ram right now but that was on a high particle count. I really want to run Nvidia supersonic sled to see what happens.
Even if it is miserable to watch. I can get this overclocked like i said 3.60 overclocked that is a full gig. and when you overclock the cpu you also overclcok everything else i.e. the graphic core, graphic apu thing. so stock is 444 plus an overclcok plus ram at 2100 at low cas 9 latency. Good ram also helps out with frames per second. I think it can handle the calculations. Even if it is written x87. Old sse. They only draw back is the 64 bit bus withd with the graphic ore on the apu. That might make it run a bit slow. But i have heard nvidia gp's running on pci slot and not even using all the bandwith for physx so we shall see
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 11, 2011 12:59:54 PM

I got an apu my self so I do have an idea how they perform. I got a laptop with the a4 3300m that I sometimes overclock to 2.35ghz thanks to unlocked multiplier.
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:27:00 PM

you can't use the unlocked multiplier to overclock the apu. In fact you ill see no performance gain you have to overclcok the base clock and if you have red anandtech.com review on overclocking they can be a bit finicky but the asrock boards and the gigybyte boards have no problems
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 11, 2011 6:54:27 PM

moonpie100 said:
you can't use the unlocked multiplier to overclock the apu. In fact you ill see no performance gain you have to overclcok the base clock and if you have red anandtech.com review on overclocking they can be a bit finicky but the asrock boards and the gigybyte boards have no problems

There is a difference between the mobile versions and the version that you had bought.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2735...!

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5155
m
l
September 11, 2011 7:21:37 PM

The benchmarks he ran were memory intensive not really cpu. Run a game benchmark like lost planet or another cpu heavy game. Or even Sandrasoft then you will know if your apu is overclocked I can raise my unlocked multiplier all the way to 47 with out any gains in performance.. and the desktop and laptop apus are identical in archetichture
m
l
September 11, 2011 7:22:48 PM

he just overclocking his ram if you look at the bottom of the thread
m
l
!