Sign in with
Your question

Chassis Intrude error P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2012 10:14:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently spilled water into my computer. There is a vent for airflow on top of my case and when I reached over to grab my water, I knocked it over and the water fell through the vent. My graphics card was sticking out and the water landed on it. When it happened, the computer shut off. I immediately pulled out the graphics card and I have not tried it since (I'm using the integrated graphics on the Intel Core i7). There seemed to be no water that got on the motherboard however, whenever I start up my computer, the BIOS doesn't POST and I get an error message saying "Chassis Intrude! Please check your system. Fatal Error. System Halted" or something to that effect and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED light is lit. However, when I reset the machine, it works normally and the LED turns off.

I've tried everything from testing individual memory sticks, resetting the BIOS, and unplugging my boot devices like my hard drive and DVD drive. I still can't get it to stop displaying the error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

~ Tom
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 10:32:14 PM

Chasis intrude message is usually a setting inside the bios to warn that someone's opened the box. You usually can disable it in bios or mark all messages read inside the bios depending on your bios.
December 11, 2012 10:35:34 PM

Why would you think it would be showing this message anyway?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 10:38:12 PM

Also read thiis elsewhere:
"On the P5Q-E and some other Asus boards, there is no bios setting where you can turn intrusion detection off. Instead, you must locate the chassis intrusion pins and put a jumper on them. It is covered in the Asus manuals - download the manual for your motherboard. "

a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 10:38:50 PM

Just mentioning things to check if your system is not fried.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 10:40:57 PM

Cosamot said:
Hi everyone,

I recently spilled water into my computer. There is a vent for airflow on top of my case and when I reached over to grab my water, I knocked it over and the water fell through the vent. My graphics card was sticking out and the water landed on it. When it happened, the computer shut off. I immediately pulled out the graphics card and I have not tried it since (I'm using the integrated graphics on the Intel Core i7). There seemed to be no water that got on the motherboard however, whenever I start up my computer, the BIOS doesn't POST and I get an error message saying "Chassis Intrude! Please check your system. Fatal Error. System Halted" or something to that effect and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED light is lit. However, when I reset the machine, it works normally and the LED turns off.

I've tried everything from testing individual memory sticks, resetting the BIOS, and unplugging my boot devices like my hard drive and DVD drive. I still can't get it to stop displaying the error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

~ Tom

Could do a couple of things:

Make sure there are no stray cables touching the case.

Clear the CMOS thru the jumper in your motherboard. Check your mobo documentation on how to do so "resetting the bios".

If it gets you to the bios, look for the option to turn off chasis intrusion.

Some cases have a small switch that hooks to the motherboard and the BIOS records if the case has been opened, you can try looking for that.

Try pushing the chasis intrusion button on your case if you have one.

Get a jumper, locate the header for chassis intrusion and put the jumper on it. Check your mobo paperwork on how to find it.
December 11, 2012 11:35:17 PM

maxalge said:
Could do a couple of things:

Make sure there are no stray cables touching the case.

Clear the CMOS thru the jumper in your motherboard. Check your mobo documentation on how to do so "resetting the bios".

If it gets you to the bios, look for the option to turn off chasis intrusion.

Some cases have a small switch that hooks to the motherboard and the BIOS records if the case has been opened, you can try looking for that.

Try pushing the chasis intrusion button on your case if you have one.

Get a jumper, locate the header for chassis intrusion and put the jumper on it. Check your mobo paperwork on how to find it.

I have reset the BIOS. On the next boot, it prompts me to enter the date and time settings (as expected), but still it displays the error upon startup. There also doesn't seem to be an option to disable chassis intrusion, and no mention in the mobo documentation.
!