Nvidia 8800GT failing and upgrade ideas.

mofofunk

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
The GFX card i currently have is on its deathbed. Unless I can get it open to give it a good clean, reset the heatsink etc then it will need replacing (from what I can see). It is a Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256bit Dual DVI PCI-E which i have had for just over 3 years. So I have a couple of questions on this;

1. Please can someone point me to a vid of how to open it so i can try and save it?
2. Please can someone recommend a suitable replacement/upgrade card. I don't do LOTS of hardcore gaming, but i do like to play COD every now and then and would like it to be able to play this with relative easy on decent settings and i also do some 3d graphics rendering.

Not sure what info you'll need to be able to advise me, but I will list what I think is relevant;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 790FX Socket AM2+ eSATA 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Socket AM2 (2.8GHz) L2 Cache 2MB (2x1MB) OEM Processor

RAM: 4GB

With regards to the problem on my GFX card, please see this link below for what it does from startup to the login screen. Once logged in the computer can be used fine (with the exception of the artefacts across the screen). I can also access it using remote access from my laptop and the display looks fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3VR-h0fZ0A

Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ash