Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hardware options for a newbie

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 10:01:09 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum and to the computer building world, and i would like to assure you that I am not trying to take the 'easy way' out of building a gaming computer. I have done hours of research and understand the essentials, but that can only get you so far being as i have very little PC building experience.

I am looking into building a fish aquarium housed gaming PC, submerged in mineral oil with a circulation and cooling system, pumping the oil through a radiator and back into the tank. (If you see any major flaws in this please let me know.) I'm shooting for max performance, money isn't really an issue. below is a list of components i have read generally good about, (as far as i can tell they are compatible) so please let me know if you think otherwise, if you have experience with these components, if you can recommend better, if you have dealt with a mineral oil cooled PC before, or any other help you can offer me!

Thank you in advance.

CPU= Core i7-2700K (would a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition or similar be better in anyway? i would need to change motherboards, AMD is not compatible with the below)

Motherboard= ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3

Storage= Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Memory= G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory (what is Cas Latency? this one has 11)

Power Supply= Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300 1300W, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Pipe-rock Modular Design, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active- PFC ,Fan LED color switch Power Supply (not sure if this will run it all, i would like to run LEDs throughout it) can i use a second, smaller power supply to take up the slack if necessary?

Graphics Card= ASUS MARS II/2DIS/3GD5 GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit x2 GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Sound Card= i'm a little lost, ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card? not sure if it is 7.1 channels, i would like good sound.
one thing i did not find much about was wireless adapters. i'm assuming a need one, any recommendations for a pretty good one? also, am i missing anything?
November 7, 2011 10:16:21 PM

I think your hard drive and psu will have a hard time in mineral oil.

If you want a nautical themed attention getter, look at the Lian Li PC-U6 Cowry case
m
l

Best solution

November 7, 2011 10:28:43 PM

First thing I will say is if you are building a gameing computer then there are some things you need to change.
1. There is no need for the 2700k cpu you can get the same performance and as good an overclock with the 2500k and save about $150.
2. 8gb ram is about all you will need or use in gameing.
3. Power supply rosewill is not a name I would associate with quality psu's , I would go with Antec , Corsair or Seasonic.
4. You do not need a sound card the motherboards come with HD quality sound.
5. I would go with a Corsair Force GT for the SSD and not the series 3.

If you go through with these changes you will save yourself a good chunk of change and still have a great computer.
Related resources
November 7, 2011 10:37:06 PM

Now for the mineral oil idea , I have come across an article the featured a computer totally submerged in oil and the thing was that is was a lot of work and there were no pumps or radiators it was actually a computer case that was filled with oil and it actually worked and the temps were not high at all. The one major flaw in your idea is the fact that you want to pump mieral oil through a radiator and I don't know what kind of pump you are going to use to do that , the oil is a lot thicker than water. Where did you get this idea from?
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:02:45 PM

some components, like optical drives i will house in the cabinet beneath (one of the fish tanks with the built in stand) i can see how the psu might not like the oil, i might do the same with it. but correct me if i'm wrong, the hard drive wont be effected because they are gasket sealed, so the oil wont wont penetrate? also is there any reason not to go with 16 GB ram? (i am a notorious multi-tasker, i have manage to blue-screen my 6GB Inspiron more times then I would like to admit.) i thank you for your suggestion geofelt, but im shooting to make it look like a fish tank, (with fake plants and a pirate ship and everything haha i wish there was a way to have live fish in it ;)  as for the pump, i was just thinking it would be nice to have it circulate in some way, incase i'm downloading overnight and it is on for extended periods. although natural rise and fall thermal-convection should be enough. (like a lava-lamp) thank you both for your speedy responses.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:12:11 PM

I just read the first article you posted the link to Inzone, their project has the oil being pumped through a radiator like i was saying. (this might have been the article i got the idea from, i can't remember haha)
m
l
November 28, 2011 9:35:56 PM

Best answer selected by 6_5x47lapua.
m
l
!