Cpu bent pins

prime_68

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I think i bent some motherboard pins, i try to straighten them but it doesnt make much of a difference 2 are now standing up more then everand are a little bit higher then the rest i tried to put the cpu back in and everything worked but the monitor didnt power on, and now the keyboard mouse and the monitor wont boot

mubin

Distinguished
How do you know everything work? Dose your monitor show post-screen? If you have mobo speaker then you may hear cpu damage code or other hardware error code. I think you broke mobo pin. If broken then it will not work.

It would be better if you showed us the pics of those bent pins.
We could advise you from there on how to go about it, since I really can't exactly get the picture, if it were and AMD processor it would be pretty easy to rectify it, if it's an Intel Processor then mending the socket could turn out to be quiet a challenge.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I did something similar with my old x2 3800 cpu. You can correct the bend using a credit card or similar, just be very very careful. I was a little to hasty and managed to break one of the pins off. I got extremely lucky and the cpu still worked.

Remember be very, very careful.

You could do that but mechanical pencils work great. Take a mechanical pencil that uses .5 lead. Stick the tip of the pencil (empty with no lead of course) and use the hole to guide the pin straight. Of course you still have to be careful and i don't know if it will work in a motherboard socket. I've only used that trick on AMD CPU's.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you are working with an AMD CPU and mainboard, then you will have FCPGA (Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array). This means the pins are on the processor and the mainboard has receptacles in the socket for these pins. All the earlier advice should work fine for straightening bent pins on the processor as long as the pins don't break. Be EXTREMELY gentle when you are doing this.

However, if you are working with an Intel CPU P4 and up, then you are most likely dealing with an LGA (Land Grid Array) socket. The pins are on the mainboard socket and the processor has the grid array that sit on these pins. The weight of the CPU will lay the pins down flat, thus ensuring contact between the pin and the corresponding grid point on the CPU.

LGA pins, though, are extremely delicate and small. Once one is bent out f place, it almost never sits right on the CPU. Hance, if anyone ever comes to me and tells me that they have damaged an LGA socket, my primary advice to them is to replace the mainboard. Chances are very high that it would not qualify for an RMA unless you can prove that it was damaged before purchase (i.e., crushed box, etc.).

Right now, you are taking a chance that one of the LGA pins is bent the wrong way and is crossed over on other pins or is connecting with other grids. You could have very well already damaged your CPU and will probably have to replace it along with your mainboard. Such is the change you take, though.

Buy a new mainboard, install the CPU, and test test test the hell out of it, just like you were overclocking. If you are lucky, all is OK. If not, buy a new CPU and chalk up the expense to learning through experience rather than the wisdom of watching someone else doing it.